Field service 21N03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the SW updated for the 21B10 last week and just after that, I now have the 21N03 in my FordPass App. I really don't feel much of a difference with the new software in the engine or trans except for a little bit smoother of an idle. I was hoping the trans software would change and not lug the lower gears so much but it really didn't.

Reaction score
Tnis explains why the app is showing an FSA for 21N03 for cam phasers, and they had already done a cam phaser update at the dealer before I picked it up.

If I or anyone else gets the hard info on the differences I'll be looking for it. I'll have to call the dealer tomorrow.

Drk1

Reaction score
Hello All. Just got a 2018 Limited a few weeks ago and testdrive was fine but I have been noticing a few issues. I got from a Ford dealer so it at least had a Full Warranty but only for 30 days.

I have the cam phaser rattle so I am going in tomorrow for that and hopefully that gets taken care of. I am also having some transmission shifting issues that I am not too happy with. The wastegates rattle during warm up but they go away fast. Ive also had the Start/Stop fail to start up again and get an error saying put into P and restart engine - it always starts right back up and the first thing that came to mind was battery but its labeled 3/21 and is a ford oem agm max, so probably not the issue. Im HOPING its the cam phaser issue creates a little extra torque issue or hesitation to start or something along those lines.

Anyway on to why I'm writing right now,
I was writing up a few things to print out for the dealer so they had in writing all the things I think are wrong right now.

I went onto my Fordpass app to get the FSA number again (21N03) and its not showing up. Strange. So I go to ford.com and look at the recalls for my vin and thankfully its still showing there but now there is a NEW one they just posted.

Description
PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER
Campaign#
21N08

Thought you all might be interested in that.

I called Ford Corporate a week ago and did get the information that the 21B10 was done just the day before I bought the vehicle by the dealer. I wasnt aware of the cam phaser issue but they pulled the vehicle up to me running and warmed up so I probably wouldnt have noticed anyway. Same with wastegates.

Tranmission is generally not too bad but there is a reallllly rough shift into 5th. Whether 3-5 or 4-5 still equally bad.

Wish me luck tomorrow....

Nevada

Reaction score
First time post, following the threads for awhile.

2018 Expedition Limited here with less than 5K miles, only use it for trips and enjoy it very much. Noticed 21B10 in my Ford Pass about 10 days ago. Noticed it was missing/deleted from my Ford Pass today. Called the dealership here in Reno and was told by service scheduler that my vehicle still has 21B10 notice attached to my VIN. The earliest appointment would be in December. So I asked to talk to a service adviser…..now this gets interesting.

The service advisor said they stopped doing 21B10 update. They said it’s causing another issue that Ford said will now cause more damage to another part of the engine.

I then asked about 21N08. Since my vehicle doesn’t have this attached to the VIN, nothing can be done. I do not have any Cam noise issues at the moment, so I said okay. He did say this is cover under the 5/60 power train warranty or extended warranty.

I’m going to call the dealership in Carson City and see what the service department tells me.

sorry to muddy up the thread….

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had the 21N08 shudder reprogram pop up on top of the 21N03 FSA this afternoon. I’m setting up an appointment to get this done since I did have the 21B10 SW flash about 2 weeks ago but do feel a shudder that was there before and didn’t change.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My FordPass app now shows 21N03 instead of 21B10. Did anybody else’s app change? What is the difference? They performed 21B10 a couple of weeks ago, but it still has the cold start rattle. I’m scheduled to take it in September 13th for them to look at it again.
Mine shows 21N08. Just noticed it today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-195034_FordPass.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-195034_FordPass.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 8

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First time post, following the threads for awhile.

2018 Expedition Limited here with less than 5K miles, only use it for trips and enjoy it very much. Noticed 21B10 in my Ford Pass about 10 days ago. Noticed it was missing/deleted from my Ford Pass today. Called the dealership here in Reno and was told by service scheduler that my vehicle still has 21B10 notice attached to my VIN. The earliest appointment would be in December. So I asked to talk to a service adviser…..now this gets interesting.

The service advisor said they stopped doing 21B10 update. They said it’s causing another issue that Ford said will now cause more damage to another part of the engine.

I then asked about 21N08. Since my vehicle doesn’t have this attached to the VIN, nothing can be done. I do not have any Cam noise issues at the moment, so I said okay. He did say this is cover under the 5/60 power train warranty or extended warranty.

I’m going to call the dealership in Carson City and see what the service department tells me.

sorry to muddy up the thread….
Just dropped off the Expy at the dealer. My vin still shows the 21B10, I asked about the the 21N03 update. He said it is a fixed version of the 21B10. He said some users have reported shifting problems and erratic behavior after the 21B10 flash. He recommended not getting the 21B10 and wait for the new 21N03. My vin does not show it ready for the new flash so he could not do it. He said Ford typically rolls out updates to vin's in a staggered pattern to help keep the dealerships from being overwhelmed with people wanting the update. He acted like he knew what he was talking about. But you know dealers, they will do and say anything to make you happy or sell you something.
Ah, so mine probably just showed up because I just had 21B10 performed today.

Jigstick

Reaction score
21N08 says if you have the 21B10 reprogram...and you develop engine shudder or transmission shifting issues Ford will revert the PCM reprogram back to "original settings" at no charge to the customer. Only then will my ford dealer replace the cam phasers.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m wondering about the shudder since the phasers and SW was done in March of 2021 on my vehicle. I got the truck 4000 miles after that in 7/2021. I felt the shudder and brought it in for the 21B10 when my dealer let me know the SW was available about two weeks ago. I really didn’t feel any change to the shudder or engine / trans except a little bit smoother of an idle. Some others in this forum say they feel it cranks longer on cold start after the 21B10 SW update but I can’t tell a difference (this truck might have gotten some type of SW in March 2021 before they stopped it). I’m wondering if the 21B10 SW had some improvements to help protect or smoother run the phasers so they don’t fail as often but if you have a shudder do they really take it back to factory? Then what about what this SW was supposed to do to help the life of the phasers? I’m hoping there’s an in between (help phaser life and get rid of the shudder).