Field service 21N03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just showed up with the 21N08 and I still have the 21B10 showing. I wonder if getting the 21B10 is worth a shot now that I have the new update. Not sure why they need to program the transmission to get oil pressure in the cam phasers anyway. My 10R80 shifted like crap when I first got the truck, but I am either really use to it or it has learned my driving style. The easiest fix for the cam phaser rattle is just to auto start it while you're in the house listening to music.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious, I also have the 21N08, and 21B10. Any one had both of these done? Trying to figure out if they are legit or even worth it. Of course I'm sure they will update the ECU strategy so I'll have to pay to get tunes updated. Yay!

edit: by legit I mean, I know the first one was yanked due to some issues. are these the ready ones? Anyone had both done?

Last edited:

MikeS3000

Reaction score
So not 100% sure this is cause and effect but this is a first time issue. We had some maintenance done at the dealership a few weeks ago including the 21B10 reprogram. Today I approached a stop sign and the auto start/stop kicked in and shut off the engine as usual. I released the brakes and the engine did not start. I got a message to put the vehicle in park and restart the vehicle manually. It did turn back on. The engine rattle on startup is still present after the flash. I now see in my ford pass app the 21N08 and 21N03 available. Is this engine shut off potentially related to the 21B10 flash? Is this a sign that the cam phasers are failing? 2018 vehicle with 55k miles on it.

Highlightreel

Reaction score
I had those both on my app recently and I looked yesterday and today and then online today and both are now NOT considered Recalls but are now under the heading CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAMS (and it shows 0 recalls). Both are listed there.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No one else had both done recently?
I got them done one week ago. The tech did the first one, reported no shudder, so he didn't do the second one.

Don't feel any major difference, but the transmission seems to be a bit clunkier than what I can remember before the update. This could just be in my head as I didn't have enough time to test it properly.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got them done one week ago. The tech did the first one, reported no shudder, so he didn't do the second one.

Don't feel any major difference, but the transmission seems to be a bit clunkier than what I can remember before the update. This could just be in my head as I didn't have enough time to test it properly.
Thanks, I'm curious if it changes the ECU strategy, likely. My guess is the tranny feels different as they likely reset the ECU after the update which invokes the tranny re-learn if you will. Just a hunch.

stefan gimenez

Reaction score
Just scheduled both of mine for Monday( 10/4) Well dropping the truck off so who knows when they will get to it. 77K miles on my 2018 and its been doing it for as long as I can remember. Before snowmobile season starts I want it at least looked at.

MikeS3000

Reaction score
So still having the engine shutoff problem w/ auto start/stop. The dealership flashed 21N08 today and reported cam phasers are bad. They are going to book me a month out to replace them. Hopefully the engine shut off is fixed after either this new ECU flash or after the cam phasers are replaced.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posted this video in the other thread as well. Basically there are two versions of the 21B10. Flash with no shudder and flash with shudder. 21N08 is if the second 21B10, Flash for shudder still has the shudder. The tech unplugs the oil pump, if the shudder goes away they re flash to as built stock programing and you are done. If the shudder does not go away you have cam phaser problems and the next step is 21N03 cam phaser replacement.