Field service 21N03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My FordPass app now shows 21N03 instead of 21B10. Did anybody else’s app change? What is the difference? They performed 21B10 a couple of weeks ago, but it still has the cold start rattle. I’m scheduled to take it in September 13th for them to look at it again.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still have 21B10, haven't had it done. Mind you I did have the 2 phasers changed about 6 months ago. Still rattles.

John I

Reaction score
Mine still shows 21B210. I had the cam phasers replaced 3 months ago and have since used the '2 pedals to the floor' method for all cold starts, cranking the engine for a second or two before firing up.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Ford dealer is always booked out 2 weeks plus for service. It goes in tomorrow for an oil change. They called today and said there is a new recall for the cam phasers and asked if I could bring it in two hours early to do the update then the oil change. I always wait, they said they would need it at least 2-3 hours and would uber me home and back. Does this seem excessive for a flash? My Ford Pass app won't open the recall section anymore. Just spins a big circle, but last time it was still on the first update.

OP
OP
wakeboarder

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Ford dealer is always booked out 2 weeks plus for service. It goes in tomorrow for an oil change. They called today and said there is a new recall for the cam phasers and asked if I could bring it in two hours early to do the update then the oil change. I always wait, they said they would need it at least 2-3 hours and would uber me home and back. Does this seem excessive for a flash? My Ford Pass app won't open the recall section anymore. Just spins a big circle, but last time it was still on the first update.
My app does the same. Try clicking “vehicle” at the bottom of the screen. Once there, a red exclamation point should be near the top of the screen with the words “view important notice”.
Part of the flash is taking the vehicle for a 6 mile test drive to verify proper operation. This could account for some of the additional time.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just dropped off the Expy at the dealer. My vin still shows the 21B10, I asked about the the 21N03 update. He said it is a fixed version of the 21B10. He said some users have reported shifting problems and erratic behavior after the 21B10 flash. He recommended not getting the 21B10 and wait for the new 21N03. My vin does not show it ready for the new flash so he could not do it. He said Ford typically rolls out updates to vin's in a staggered pattern to help keep the dealerships from being overwhelmed with people wanting the update. He acted like he knew what he was talking about. But you know dealers, they will do and say anything to make you happy or sell you something.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just dropped off the Expy at the dealer. My vin still shows the 21B10, I asked about the the 21N03 update. He said it is a fixed version of the 21B10. He said some users have reported shifting problems and erratic behavior after the 21B10 flash. He recommended not getting the 21B10 and wait for the new 21N03. My vin does not show it ready for the new flash so he could not do it. He said Ford typically rolls out updates to vin's in a staggered pattern to help keep the dealerships from being overwhelmed with people wanting the update. He acted like he knew what he was talking about. But you know dealers, they will do and say anything to make you happy or sell you something.
This sounds right. I think the dealer is dead on! I had mine in three weeks ago and thank goodness they “paused” on the update due to issues. My Ford Pass still shows 21B10 is needed. I have not experienced the noise. 2018, 10/2018 build (7 days from a 2019) 15k miles