First oil change at 1500 miles for my 2019 Expedition XLT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I decided to change my new 2019 XLT at 1500 miles and I'm glad that I did. The factory oil filter did a great job to filter metal particles and I saw some particles in the oil as well. My 2019 has metal oil drain plug instead of plastic and it wasn't that tight when I removed it. Oil change is simpler than my old Acura MDX, dropping the plastic cover by removing 4 8mm bolts. I was surprised that I didn't have to use much muscle to break it, same thing with oil filter, it wasn't tight either. I also installed a new Fumoto 107N for easy access later. I used Penzoil Platinum 5w30 synthetic with Mobil 1 212A extended oil filter. I could tell that the engine is running quiet than factory oil and my gas mileage jumps from 15 mpg to 17 mpg.

If you guys have a new Expedition, I recommend to change out new factory oil with synthetic after break in period or after 1000 miles. I'm planning to change oil every 5k miles.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the oil change improved you gas mileage or made it quieter. It takes time for a new engine to break in, that's why they use regular oil, instead of synthetic, and most dealers offer a free oil change on a new vehicle after 3K. The rings need to seat. Almost every new car I have owned has a jumped in gas mileage after about 5K. Changing oil every 5K may be a little overkill. I go with the 7500 mile change, full synthetic. Unless there is a mechanical failure, I have opened up engines with 200K miles and practically no wear on the crank, rods, or cylinders. Good clean oil is a great insurance policy for your engine, but you are probably OK with a filter and oil change at 7500 or 10K.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wait until 5k to switch my new vehicles to synthetic. I agree with blackcoffee about the mpg. Now that I am running full synthetic I will be changing oil every 10k (with filter change at 5k)

I changed my 2005 gt mustang at 10k with royal purple and it's still going with over 200k on the clock.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the maintenance on my last vehicle and noticed a decent jump in MPG when I switched to full synthetic along with a decrease in the operating temp. It’s worth the money to run the synthetic IMHO.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My opinion is always the fresh oil is as important as good quality oil, so I don't try to run any oil too long. I'm sure its wasteful, but I know its not circulating contaminants and moisture through the engine as mine gets a lot of short trips.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the first oil change around 1500 miles to remove contaminants. Ford uses an algorithm to determine percentage of oil life left based on how you use your vehicle. My plan is to change the oil when 75% of the oil life is used. I currently have 4700 miles and am in between my first and second oil change. I would be concerned going too many miles between oil changes, so once I see how the percentage is going, I may adjust the 75% down a little.

I use Castrol Edge 5w-30 full synthetic.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys doing full synthetic do you ever do oil analysis? If so how much fuel ends up in the oil. I only ask as all my other vehicles have been diesel and you could run Royal Purple, Amzoil or what ever high dollar oil you wanted, but it wouldn’t matter. You would still have soot and diesel in the oil due to forced induction. My dealer offers $90.00 for three services so I just change my EcoBoost’s every 5K. Fresh clean oil and filter was always better than dirty high dollar oil IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Blackstone tested the oil in my 5.0l Mustang. Its was Royal Purple, Napa Platinum filter 1,400mi and in engine for a year. They said it was still nice. No fuel, in normal spec and was so nice, could of went 12 more months. New engines may have break in oil. Some manufactures recommend, not changing it too soon. Rental car companies go 6-12 months, before 'the first' oil changes. Many leasers don't ever do oil changes, before required. I don't buy oil, making an engine sound quiet or increasing mileage. Its kinda like the people that put floor mats over floor mats. You are just leaving it nice, for the next owner.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Blackstone tested the oil in my 5.0l Mustang. Its was Royal Purple, Napa Platinum filter 1,400mi and in engine for a year. They said it was still nice. No fuel, in normal spec and was so nice, could of went 12 more months. New engines may have break in oil. Some manufactures recommend, not changing it too soon. Rental car companies go 6-12 months, before 'the first' oil changes. Many leasers don't ever do oil changes, before required. I don't buy oil, making an engine sound quiet or increasing mileage. Its kinda like the people that put floor mats over floor mats. You are just leaving it nice, for the next owner.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Was it turbocharged or blown? Forced induction always pushes more stuff past the rings than naturally aspirated motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk