First oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What sort of break in additives and/or detergents?
New engines use an additive that hardens wears surfaces and suspend particles. I believe it is zinc phosphate, paraffin and molybdenum. Break in oil has no detergents, because there is no sludge or tarnish. Its new. Quaker State is known for high paraffin.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just changed my oil for the first time at 4950 miles with Mobil 1 5W30 and Mobil 1 filter. What a terrible design for the filter location. Even with the OEM drip tray under the filter, it drips out the back of the drip tray and down the front differential instead of out the front of the drip tray as intended. The engineer who designed this oil filter drip tray obviously never changed their own oil! I installed a fumoto drain valve ( https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/f107n.html ) on my aluminum oil pan to simplify draining the oil pan for the next oil change since it can be used with a drain hose. The front sway bar is right in the path of where the oil drains from the drain plug, so I made my own diverter out of a plastic bottle for this first oil change. I've seen all the threads about filter relocation kits, but I'll just work on perfecting my oil change methods rather than risking a leak from the filter relocation kit. It would be interesting to see where the filter is located on the 5 Liter Coyote engines in the F150. Perhaps the filter location in the 3.5 Ecoboost was an afterthought based on packaging.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New engines use an additive that hardens wears surfaces and suspend particles. I believe it is zinc phosphate, paraffin and molybdenum. Break in oil has no detergents, because there is no sludge or tarnish. Its new. Quaker State is known for high paraffin.

Quaker State and Pennzoil USED to be known for that because they were paraffin based oils and still are as most oils are.
Paraffinic oils are the most common type of oils from crude base stock.
Wax comes out of the refining process.
Refine does mean to make better.....
It does seem to be true that 40+ years ago Quaker State and Pennzoil seemed to sludge or wax up a lot more than many other oils. We can only assume the wax or other undesirable content was not as refined out as with other oils.

The latest one I have seen with either QS or Pennzoil that was sludged was a 305 or 350 in a 79 Caprice in about 1985. Lower area in heads near valve cover edge full of slimy layer of wet frog crap.

They are both high quality oils now.

It would be interesting if someone had some NOS 1950s-60s metal can of one around for testing. I had a Mobiloil Outboard rectangular can with small screw on cap once that was unopened. The last cans or oil I had was a case of 24 Valvoline 20w-50 racing my friend's dad gave me in 1990. They were the newer paper sides with metal top and bottom you pushed the spigot through the top to pour. He had traded in and given up Mustangs after his 3rd 5 sp blew out. He was out racing Grand Nationals in it though.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Problem is their worth too much sealed and unused. Back in the early 70's when I was just getting into working on motorcycles and cars, my older brother used to swear by Pennzoil. With me it was Castrol Dino, mostly 20/50 weight, because my friends in the know said it was better than Pennzoil, and most of the others at the time. Now I know about the wax in the oil, I'm glad I made the right choice. My brother never kept his cars for more than 2 years, so we never saw a motor apart. Would have been interesting to see one after 100k. I do remember Shell gasoline back then used to leave a white flux of sorts around squish area of heads, and on top of pistons. This was in the time of leaded fuels.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes and shell motor oil back in the 80s from the gas station was green. And I forgot to mention after all the facts about leaded fuel at the main reason it was in fuel was to prevent exhaust valve seat recession. Wasn't that the main reason?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep I think so. Even though heads were cast iron, the seats or heads themselves used to recess after less than 80,000 miles. Valve technology has come a long ways since back in the day. Back in my dad's day, 40's thru early 60's, valve jobs were common place at only 60,000 miles or so. Probably explains why so many cars, and trucks got junked. Making less than $100.00 a week at best, who could afford it. You had 4-9 kids average, so getting another car made more sense, and keeping food on the table, and shoes on your kid's.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk