Ford, Are you Listening? 2018+ Change/Wish List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johhn14

Reaction score
Sounds like a great update and making me sad to have a 2019 that will no doubt not be compatible!

Best guess would be a mid-cycle refresh would be the opportunity to bring that to the Expedition.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Sounds like a great update and making me sad to have a 2019 that will no doubt not be compatible!

Best guess would be a mid-cycle refresh would be the opportunity to bring that to the Expedition.

I'd think they'd have to redo most of the interior to fit the larger screens, unless I read that incorrectly that Sync 4 would only be for the screens larger than 8 inches.

As much as I think the convenience of wireless AA and Carplay would be great, I'm really interested in real world application and functionality. I would think that constantly transmitting the data maps/music/whatever via WiFi would outpace the wireless charging capability?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think that constantly transmitting the data maps/music/whatever via WiFi would outpace the wireless charging capability
I think wireless CarPlay primarily uses bluetooth which (if I understand it correctly) is either on or off. In other words, bluetooth is not using more power when it's transmitting vs when it's not; it's either on and using power or it's off and it's not.

I agree on the screen size. Although from that article it sounds like it will support both 8" and the big 15" screens. Granted, I think the screens in the Expi are already small compared to the top-end vehicles on the market...look at the gigantic vertical tesla-style screen on the 2020 Explorer Platinum, for instance.

Vicious

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with the vertical explorer screen is it’s too narrow. That makes car play actually look smaller than the 8inch landscape display, because it will only fill the top half of the vertical screen.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
It's a bit unclear, but I'm pretty sure the reason we don't already have wireless Car Play or AA is because BT doesn't have the bandwidth to do much else except take messages and phone calls. You need the data pipe from Wi-Fi to able to push maps and real time traffic, etc. Using wireless Car Play or AA would be the equivalent to constantly being on a phone call (or greater), and I don't think the charge rate of the wireless pad is quick enough to compensate.

For the first time, Ford is implementing wireless implementation of both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as SYNC AppLink apps such as Waze or Ford+Alexa.

Customers will continue to be able to use both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to enable simultaneous operation of in-vehicle entertainment and mobile device navigation while providing calls, music, and other features to be controlled through the vehicle’s display.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a bit unclear, but I'm pretty sure the reason we don't already have wireless Car Play or AA is because BT doesn't have the bandwidth to do much else except take messages and phone calls. You need the data pipe from Wi-Fi to able to push maps and real time traffic, etc. Using wireless Car Play or AA would be the equivalent to constantly being on a phone call (or greater), and I don't think the charge rate of the wireless pad is quick enough to compensate.
Makes sense. I know BMW does wireless CarPlay...I guess they push more power?

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Rather than continuing to speculate...

Here's how it works in the BMW:

Pairing for wireless CarPlay happens over Bluetooth for ease of initial data transfer, but the actual CarPlay communication happens over Wi-Fi for a stable, higher-bandwidth connection.

Charging speeds leave a bit to be desired, however, as I typically found the charging pad only able to maintain or slightly increase the battery level during use. For example, during one 90-minute drive while using Apple Maps via CarPlay, the wireless charger in the X3 was only able to boost my iPhone X battery from 46 percent to 54 percent.

So, it looks like the wireless pad will charge enough to overcome the drain from Wi-Fi, but not by very much. At least in the current version in the BMW.

https://www.macrumors.com/review/bmw-wireless-carplay/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65