Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who is? Trump or Toby? Toby, we have a 5.0 V8 in the F150, the Coyote motor. Maybe 2020 will offer it or better back in the Expedition. It's the same vehicle, don't see the problem why they don't? Can't be emissions, safety? Why not offer it, and see if it sells. The suits at GM fought big motors in mid sized cars, till John Delorean snuck it under their noses in the Tempest in 64, we all know what happened in 65, the GTO.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who is? Trump or Toby? Toby, we have a 5.0 V8 in the F150, the Coyote motor. Maybe 2020 will offer it or better back in the Expedition. It's the same vehicle, don't see the problem why they don't? Can't be emissions, safety? Why not offer it, and see if it sells. The suits at GM fought big motors in mid sized cars, till John Delorean snuck it under their noses in the Tempest in 64, we all know what happened in 65, the GTO.

I don't buy new so I didn't know.
I thought that if the 17 and above Exp only had 3.5 then the F-150s did too.

Supports my theory...A lot of truck owners EXPECT and demand a V8.
What in the world were they thinking not having or at least offering the F150 engine in an Exp and Navi.
They are same vehicle!!

I was happy when they announced the 5.0 because the 4.6 was too small when it came out.
With the "new" technology they should have been able to keep same cubes or more and get same mpg and it was anemic compared to the 302(5.0) it replaced although much smoother.

I don't know why (never researched it)they didn't put more 5.4s in mustangs. They only had the special high end ones with superchargers and those probably had all aluminum blocks and tons of upgrades etc.
I would think a 5.4 with some better heads/cams/intake would scoot a mustang better than a 4.6 did in lets say the 97-05 or so.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the 2020 Explorer is giving options, 4 cylinder ecoboost, new 3.0 6 cylinder ecoboost and a N.A. 3.3L and electric motor in a hybrid. Plus they've gone back to RWD setup.

Ford's staying with turbos and expanding into hybrid. I'm glad they are staying with v-8s too. It's good to have choices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish someone (Ford) would make a dual overhead cam V8 with direct injection of bigger displacement like the 5.0L.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 5.8 would be a nice revival, just like the old days of 302/351. The 302 makes 390 horsepower, just the added cubes should bump that number to around 415. More in the high performance mustangs and whatever hot rod pick-up.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.2L is a good engine. They could make a performance version With DOHC and direct injection. It makes 411 hp/ 434 torque in the Raptor variant. If they gave it the 4V heads it would be a monster. My phone math says at 5.0L power per liter the 6.2 would put down roughly 490 horsepower and 496 lb ft. Fun!

Then again the 5.4L Triton is a great truck engine. Low and mid range torque. One of the only undersquare V8s made, ideal for towing and truck duty. They could modernize an undersquare V8 with Coyote items too.

Last edited:

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An F-150 without a V8 option is like the 2 door Explorer Sport. It didn't sell well so Ford stopped making it. The F-150 still sells because it's a pickup and can be used for pickup truck things - but it would *sell better* with a V8 option. I suspect the no V8 thing is to push people towards the more expensive F-250 or F-350.

Same crap they did with the first generation Sport Trac. It sold well enough without a V8 but would have sold a lot more with a V8.

Ford does have a history of purposefully NOT giving customers something they want. They wanted rear disc brakes on the Thunderbird with 302 V8, but for said "Nope! You want those you can only have them with the turbo 4 in the SC model." For 70 years they begged Ford to build a truck *the same size* as the Suburban. Ford steadfastly kept NOT doing so. GM was more than happy to introduce shortened versions of the Suburban to match Ford's offerings. Ford finally caved in to demand, but thought they knew better and introduced the *bigger than Suburban* Excursion - to poor sales. Those things are huge, you need a ladder to climb in, and they have little more interior space than a Suburban or Expedition EL.

Someone at Ford finally decided that We Out Here Who Buy Fords knew what we were wanting and produced the Expedition EL and Navigator L in 2007, almost precisely the same size as a Suburban. Sales are good, yeah? Just think how many more trucks Ford could have sold had they made that decision several decades sooner.

Perhaps Ford still feels the pain from the 1971-1973 Mustang when they tried making it too much like a Camaro? Or they figure that throwing away their dominating lead of the Thunderbird over the Corvette from 1955 to 1957 in 1958 in the name of Even Larger Sales Numbers while pi$$ing off loyal customers was one of Ford's best ideas ever?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Greg, they still offer the 5.0 Coyote motor for the 2019 F150. Just not the same platform expedition. I can't see the reason, because it should have all the wiring and computer mounts and changes needed as the F150. To me, it makes no sense not to offer it. True it's down a little on horsepower and torque vs the twin turbo six, but very little. The 5.0 puts out 390 horses, only the Platinum six, puts out 10 more .I guess Ford had their reasons, just can't see how difficult it is to offer the same option as their pickup. The biggest difference is the twin turbo six Trump's the v8's torque by 80 pounds. Still consumers should have the choice. Not everybody needs to tow a 8,000 pound trailer. If their like me, they rairly have even a second passenger. Hauling around 6 porky friends only adds 2400 pounds, 300 each if your doing the math , plenty of torque in the 302 to get their fat ***** to the bar and back. Even if the bar is over a grade like here in my Pacifica.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moose the 5.0 puts out 395 horsepower in the F-150, it’s up from last year. It is 20 hp more than the 3.5.

Also should add the same 5.0 in the Mustang with the more aggressive cams puts out 460 horsepower and 420 LB FT stock.....

Last edited: