Ford back with big blocks and pushrods!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks promising. See how many people said they would never go back or you can't make those old style designs work today!!

I love the pushrod V8s for some reasons and like the OHV for others.

I was scared of the 4.6 when it came out esp with the long chains, but they hit a home run!!

I love to see cars like corvette lay down all that hp and performance with a pushrod V8 too.

Oh, BTW, now give make a 5.7-6.6 version of it for Expedition and F-150s so us that do not ant turbos can have it.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will they design it to still get around 10MPG? Seems regardless of what motor you want to haul with, it will get 10MPG. Not complaining, just saying.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a first hand look at GMs new 6.6L V8 last night, they are going to be built right here in New York so they brought it out to the Buffalo auto show. At first I was confused, I thought I was looking at a 6.2L....I couldn’t figure out why on earth the block was cast iron. Then it dawned on me, it’s the new 6.6 they just announced. Then I looked at the sign <LOL>. Pretty compact for the size, nice simple setup. GM guys were nice to talk to on the engineering of the engine. We have GM powertrain right here in tonawanda.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what tea leaves Ford and GM have been reading. Why just now have they decided to bring new large gas offerings? Chrysler tells us they are developing a 7.0L V8 as well. All 3 will have a big block out for 2020! You have Ford 7.3L, GM 6.6L, RAM 7.0L.

Are the end of diesels upon us? Maybe it’s the last hoorah before everything is a golf cart, who knows.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The economy is doing well and large trucks are big money makers. The big three have been battling over tow ratings. For GM, I wonder if the 6.6 is a response to the Ecoboost 3.5. The new Blackwing OHV is too expensive for their 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs. One thing is for sure: the consumer wins.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's funny how the consumer thinks. Manufacturers of products try to be on the pulse of what people will buy. Apparently the big 3 listen. I think the diesel guys will keep buying Diesel's, just like way back in the day, bargain guys/girls bought six cylinders in a Mustang or Camaro. They wanted the new look, but not the power. Maybe it was for their teenager, so that made more sense. As clean running as Diesels are these days, their not for everybody. I personally don't know the first thing about working on one, and at my age, don't care to learn, or own one. I rode in my good friend Tom's 2014 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton, about 4 months back. It ripped ass. You didn't even know it was a Diesel. You could stand right alongside and not even smell it. We'll see how these new big block gassers sell.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They manufacturers do listen but there's always a major lag. Remember when they were in total huge SUV mode and gas prices shot up and they just and still do keep making then and some people are so against them. They were setting fire to them on car lots to protest their gas use.
Tons of people are super pissed that Ford doesn't have a V8 for an F150. It's just an American tradition that some people will not let go off. I'm okay with that. I'm not going to sit here and spout that change is inevitable and we have to embrace technology and it's better and all this...like so many do. Different srokes for different folks.
I expect any full size truck to have both offerings. I want a V8 for the more powerful and towing option and then I also want them to offer an economy lighter power model it have a 4 or 6. They've all done a great job over the years with Ford full-size trucks having a straight 6 300 and then having 302 351 and 460s. GM having straight sixes and some of their full size trucks and V6 is also and then 305 350 and 454 s. Chrysler very similar. Let's face it, over the decades it's basically just been copycat for The Big Three.
While I certainly appreciate the power that can be created with turbochargers and even a V6 with a turbo since I'm a Grand National fanatic, I fully expect Camaros and Mustangs to have V8 engines. Now they can add superchargers and turbos if they want to to make supercars but don't cut off cylinders and then make up for it with turbos I prefer turbos and superchargers only to be icing on the cake.
I think they're just responding to the fact that a lot of people are mad that they can't get V8 offerings. I would certainly choose a V8 in an F-150 or Expedition any day over any version of a six.