Ford Dealer Drilled Holes In my Front Bumper to Mount Dealer Vanity Plate!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mewn

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in Florida and just picked up my new black on black limited max today! What a awesome truck. I was so happy till I went to take off the dealer installed front vanity plate and realized they DRILLED CROOKED HOLES IN MY FRONT BUMPERS!!
I was in shock, how can they drill holes in a 70K+ truck to put on a dealership vanity plate in a state that does not require front plates!!!
I am dreading heading back to the dealer to complain about this stupidity!

After a few hours of feeling like total shit, I was able to find a parts diagram online and after looking up the parts to replace, I feel much better knowing they are under 200$ Not such a big deal..

Do you guys think its worth the hassle and drama to complain to the dealer or just suck it up and fix it myself?

Meanwhile, has anyone had the front bumper off yet? Any info or insight would be much appreciated.

Did not picture myself removing my front bumper a few days after purchase, FML!

https://parts.haagfordsales.com/oem...wMTgmdD1tYXgtcGxhdGludW0mZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw==

https://parts.haagfordsales.com/oem...wMTgmdD1tYXgtcGxhdGludW0mZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw==

44361894_286861928592657_4721977325434961920_n.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will never be happy - I would immediately return the vehicle and ask them to replace the part that had holes drilled into it (not repair the holes...).

Why did you accept delivery of the vehicle if the dealer did this to it?

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The one thing not to lose sight of, is usually body parts come unpainted. No big deal, if the parts you want to replace aren't painted or finish coated in any way.

I just had the front bumper cover off my '18 this past weekend.
Knowing what I know, given your circumstances, I'd take the path of least resistance, keep the thing on there, and buy your own vanity plate like Party Bus, or Ford, or whatever.
As long as the outward appearance of the bracket is level and square, it's kind of a non issue, down the road you might sell the vehicle to someone who requires the bracket, or you move to a state that does require it, or Florida changes their requirements.

Last edited:

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will never be happy - I would immediately return the vehicle and ask them to replace the part that had holes drilled into it (not repair the holes...).

Why did you accept delivery of the vehicle if the dealer did this to it?

I don't think he thought it was a big deal, because his expectations were such that it was simple removal, without a trace. OP says he was surprised to learn that was not the case, as he attempted removal.

OP
OP
Mewn

Mewn

Reaction score
Trust me I am upset with myself for not immediately realizing what they did. Other vehicles have removable plate covers or built in plug spots that are meant to be covered up when there is no front plate. I was not expecting ford to just drill holes in front bumpers to install a 14 dollar plastic front plate holder. Check out the front plate removable cover on my GMC, Something like this is what I was expecting.

d1.jpg d2.jpg

Not this!!
f1.jpg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having seen your picture with the holes I agree with you, I wouldn’t be happy.... AT ALL. I wouldn’t be able to see anything else except for those holes when approaching from the front. When I ordered mine I specifically told the dealer I would not accept the vehicle with a front license plate holder or any dealer markings, he asked for me to send a reminder email a week or so out. I’m happy to report that they obliged. I wonder how many sales they generate from that free marketing anyway?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s messed up, I’d demand it be replaced by the dealer. As you state Florida doesn’t require front plates, as such the dealer should not have drilled the factory bumper damaging clear coat and paint in the process. (Though it’s plastic I’d still mention it). What a bunch of cheapskates. I don’t blame you at all you can see the holes clearly.

Beautiful Denali BTW.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are not wrong to be upset about it. I would ask that the dealership replace the parts that they damaged. I am sure that they will make it right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357