ForScan Tweaks - 2015+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nnak58

Reaction score
Hello All,
I decided to upgrade my 2017 XLT 4" screen to the 8". I bought a used APIM, screen, HVAC module, and faceplate from a wrecked 2016 Limited. I was able to get the phone to work and the screen itself working, but the seek, media, and phone buttons on the steering wheel do not function. Only the volume on the steering wheel works. The rear seat radio controls also still work. The other issue I have is the rear control clock and radio buttons stay on all the time and end up draining the battery over time. I updated the ACM and APIM to match the previous posts on pages 81-82 and have gotten to my current point. Any advice?

MikePA

Reaction score
The Double Honk and a BUNCH of other stuff is in the Easy config drop down area for the APIM and BCM for the 2020+. Make sure you are running the newest version.

I have a 2021 Expy XLT (200a). I downloaded the current version of Forscan (2.3.41 beta).
When I connect to the vehicle, it pulls the BdyCM module (AS BUILT) but does not give me an option for the easy-config version.
Also for many of the 2021 F150 Spreadsheet items, I am not able to see the same address codes in my AS BUILT format.

Example: PSCM 730-03-01 for Disable Auto Stop/Start listed in the spreadsheet. That address does not show in my PSCM AS BUILT.

Has anyone else played around with Forscan on the '21? I did get the Disable Double-Honk working. Would like Disable Auto Stop/Start and Global Windows.
I would consider starting a Google Doc for us if it's helpful.

Ajax969

Reaction score
Downloaded Forscan yesterday after receiving my OBDlink. Plugged it in and played around with a couple things. I stayed in the easy config versions of most everything.
Under the IPC it listed a bunch of options for IAT display, Boost/Vacuum Display, Air/Fuel Gauge Display, and Selectable Drive Mode. I enabled all of those and have not noticed any changes. I'm assuming it is because these trucks are on the odd side and don't support that.

I did go into the SCCM and change the # of flashes for the lane change turn signal. I ended up using "A" for the digit to change it from 3 flashes to 5.

Only other things I changed were Bambi Mode and Fog Lights to DRLs. Waiting to drive it today and find out if that worked.

Ajax969

Reaction score
On the left side of the cluster where it displays trans temperature, oil pressure and oil temp. Is there no other gauges/values you can enable to show there?

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally, it's been a long time waiting but it's here and it works, well somewhat.

I was tinkering with the asbuilt, comparing it to a 2012-2014 Explorer and I stumbled upon the hex that controls the dynamic guidelines. Catch22, it only works after the vehicle has been driven for a mile or so and it resets to the no-dynamic guidelines we're accustomed to at the next restart. Drive it again and they come back. I don't know if it's a LINBUS bug or the PSCM lacking the Steering Angle Sensor hex bit but Hell I'll take that over not having them at all. ;)

Rear Camera Dynamic Guidelines ... BCM 726-36-01 - Xxxx-xxxx-xx / X=6

Last edited:

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
My 2c after modding my 2020 KR (Expedition) with Forscan. Here's the shortcut/simple way to use Forscan to it's full potential. Hope you like it!

*** I use an Apple Mac / MacOS, no you don't have to go buy a PC ***

--- Mac stuff for you Unix gurus --
I'm using a MAC (yes an Apple) with Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 10. Both VirtualBox and Win 10 is a free download. VB from Oracle, Win 10 from MS. Win10 runs for 2 months. After that you have to re-register (for free) for another 2 months, and that cycle continues for eternity. Note: Activate VBox's USB, which will be needed for BOTH hard wired USB and Bluetooth. BT is just another USB connector type to Win.
--- End Mac specific stuff ---

I won't go through the setup, download, install etc of Forscan, lots of posts on that already. K, with that going connect with top icon on ForScan. Follow all the prompts for config etc, it won't let you proceed unless you do as it says. Simple.

Once you're connected, jump down to the chip-looking icon and choose your module. Now for my piece of mind I didn't mess with "As Built". That is EXCEPT TO BACK UP THE CONFIGURATION first thing. Do that for each module you'll be messing with - you'll be glad you did one day. It'll save the backed up config to the hard drive of your Windows VM. (Or just Windows drive if you've got a PC and not using Linux/Mac VMs).

This is something I had to stumble over: Do NOT use the "As Built" unless you absolutely have to. The MUCH simpler interface is always going to be the choice right below the "As Built" for each module. It's the same wording, just doesn't have "As Built" in the description. So choose the one without "As Built" and you'll get a menu driven, fool proof method to change your settings!

Download somebody's changes sheet or one of the spreadsheets, go through it and highlight the changes you want to make. Note the module. Go to the specific module, do a quick search for what you want. For instance go to "BCM" (I think it reads "Bdy Control Module" or something). Search for "Fog" for the Fog+High beams method. It'll give you a drop-down choice of changes you can make for YOUR PARTICULAR VEHICLE. So choose "High Beams with Fog Lights On". Go back and hit "Save". Viola - done. You've now done this without messing up a battery of hex codes you'll have to deal with in the "As Built" options, which can brick your vehicle if done wrong.

Do that for all your changes. If a change for your particular vehicle can't be done, or it's not allowed with the current code/vehicle type/year, then you simply won't see the options on the drop down menus. <-- now that I like.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Quick question regarding this damn auto start/stop:

If turned off via Forscan, it actually shuts down the BMS (Battery Monitoring System), which in turn disables auto start/stop! Now it certainly keeps your engine from stalling at all the stoplights, but here's the problem: With BMS offline, you'll get a warning message on every startup, and at about 30 mins into the trip. It says "Charging System Service Soon" in a bright red box.

Of course everyone in the car will quickly ask "hey - what's that big red warning message? Are we all gonna die?" Nice thing about a sterile cockpit is nobody except the crew sees such mess, but hey, this isn't a B757. So ask yourself if you can live with the BMS warnings popping up, or the auto engine shutdown? Wonder what other issues a disabled BMS will cause?

Anyone have a better method of turning off that **most stupid of all forced features** other than disabling the entire BMS?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MikePA

Reaction score
Quick question regarding this damn auto start/stop:
Anyone have a better method of turning off that **most stupid of all forced features** other than disabling the entire BMS?

After a bunch of research, I installed the Autostop Eliminator. I got the Harness type for my 2021 XLT. It required a small amount of trim removal/prying, which was easy following the YouTube guidance.

Works perfectly, and doesn't mess with critical systems. It just "remembers" that you pushed the Disable button on the dashboard on startup. Simple.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
After a bunch of research, I installed the Autostop Eliminator. I got the Harness type for my 2021 XLT. It required a small amount of trim removal/prying, which was easy following the YouTube guidance.

Works perfectly, and doesn't mess with critical systems. It just "remembers" that you pushed the Disable button on the dashboard on startup. Simple.
Good one, MikePA. Next time I pull the center for some reason I'll install one. I see that for 20-21's we have to use the harness type. Thanks!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
For $100 there's a plug in to the OBD2 port that takes no dash disassembly. Literal plug-n-play. Different module for 2018-19 and 2020-later. The Memorizer version seems most appropriate as the dash button still works if you want. Just memorizes what the setting was when the truck is turned off so you don't have to deactivate stop/start every time.

https://www.4dtech.com/expedition-18-19-start-stop-eliminator/

-- Chuck

Last edited: