Gave the Expedition a new look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m 55 and I prefer chrome on the Expedition’s over total blackout look but not too much chrome where it’s over done. Some blacked out with a mix of chrome looks bad ass as well even on the old cars. My Eliminator is a good example of a nice mix with the factory blacked out grille with still the center piece and the bumper chrome. The standard 69 Cougar’s grille is all chrome and is a little too much over done for me even though it is old school. That’s where they got the electric shaver front end nickname from. I don’t totally dislike the total blackout look though.

CDD41361-0313-4B5A-8938-CDE27CC46785.jpeg

4238E2EB-8958-492B-BDC8-E0FF879F9E16.jpeg

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the other old fart thinking is I like to see some rubber around my chrome wheels...and I still like the white lettering.

Beautiful Cougar too...

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't mind at all chrome on a '56 Ford..or a '69 Mercury ;) (absolutely gorgeous car, BTW).

I just don't like it on my '11 Expedition. makes it look like a pimp mobile. Maybe what I'm lacking is the hoes and champagne in the back seats...hmm. Now THERE'S an idea. Ladies...you carriage awaits!

LOL...

All seriousness, I gave up hauling around women (in the plural sense) many years ago. It's enough work to keep one... entertained, to say nothing of several. Though in my prime...I was....well, in my prime.

When I got my first truck, it had this set of aluminum slot wheels. I kept them things polished up to a mirror finish...till that first winter. Give me something that can be hosed off, or if it's real dirty, a quick hit with a soapy brush and a rinse and I'm good to go. Same with the rest. We have 3 seasons here in north MO, snow, mud, and dust. Doesn't help that in the spring, I may be pulling a trailer loaded with seed to the fields, or in the fall, bouncing across the fields haling fuel, pulling empty grain carts, or bringing parts if something breaks.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
;)
When I got my first truck, it had this set of aluminum slot wheels.
Lol! I had a set of Crager aluminum slots or “Sluts” as we called them back in the day, on my first car .... 69 Fastback Stang. They were hot back then because of Starsky and Hutch’s Torino. My buddy also ran a set of Fenton sluts on his 70 Duster. They had G-60 belted white letter tires on the rear with highjacker air shocks pumped up so high that you slid forward out of the seats. Lol! I remember my dad saying that they used to heat their springs to slam their 50’s cruisers on the ground and us kids jacked them up in the ass. Slammed on the ground is back in but not so sure the jacked up ass end is gonna make a come back....... it was cool while it was cool!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Exactly. I want the truck to look “clean” but I bought it to
A. Move people
B. Handle northeast winters
C. Drive on the beach to fish, so 20’ rims give me enough tire to handle the non-paved surfaces. It’s gotta be like me, capable of doing the hard work but cleans up good! Lol

View attachment 41174

I sure hope that ain’t salt water.

Mmart

Reaction score
I sure hope that ain’t salt water.

it certainly is, that’s where the big fish live!! It’s also the reason the truck gets a full undercarriage wash after every trip. I wasn’t as wise when I had my 01 expedition and it rusted out pretty bad. So far this truck is holding up much better. Believe it or not the road salt and brine mix during winter seems to be even more of a problem. The reason why is because I can go fishing and at times the truck doesn’t need to be so close to the water. While I’m in the city in winter it’s unavoidable if we’re having bad weather.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I deal with the same thing here. The beach is fine; I stay far out of the water. It's the damn winter road salt that rots things.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks good, I gotta ask out of curiosity, are you under 40? There seems to be an “anti-chrome” movement going on with the younger folks. Not that I’m much older, I just still like it. Especially with the black metallic paint on my truck.

I noticed the same thing on the motorcycle forums I’m on as well. All the “younger” folks want their bikes “blacked out”. Again it definitely looks good but I want to be a visible as possible when riding, the truck on the other hand I wouldn’t be as worried about.

I’m over 40 and despise chrome. Especially chrome wheels. Garish/tacky IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk