gear shift brok

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hollyskynai

Reaction score
so my gear shift broke off my 2004 expedition, so i guess i am going to get a new steering cloumn at the junk yard but can someone help me and explain or pics if u can how to install this thank you

OP
OP
H

hollyskynai

Reaction score
cant get key out w/o disconnecting battery

so my gear shifter broke so i guess i have to get a new steering column but if i use pliers i can shift to different gears but the problem is that i cant get the key out unless i disconnect the battery! anyone know how i can get the key out so i can drive my truck till i can get it fixed in a few weeks????? thank you in advance!!!

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
No double posts please, the post have been merged

OP
OP
H

hollyskynai

Reaction score
sorry wasnt trying to double post they r two different questions

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing out the steering column gear shift requires removing the ignition switch lock cylinder and steering wheel. To remove the steering wheel, you need to remove the driver side air bag, which requires deactivating the air bag itself. That needs the computer that the dealer has.

Once all that is removed, take off the upper steering column shroud and then remove the gear shift lever.

S3JusenfileD17084A_gifgenref.gif

OP
OP
H

hollyskynai

Reaction score
honestly dont know went to get back in truck and started it then when i went to change gears to leave where iwas at it was pointing striagt down my dad put a screwdriver in it to change gears but now it wont let his key out of ignition unless he un hooks the battery.. thinking maybe when i got out i must have done something not sure but ir is broke off

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. It would be blatantly obvious if you were to break it. And if the ignition isn't releasing the key it sorta sounds like it was tampered with. Was the truck broken in to?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key is not releasing the key probably because it "thinks" that he isn't in park. It won't let you slide out the key unless you are in P. FWIW, you can't start it unless you're in P or N.