got my ass kicked by my travel trailer, need some advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSzub67

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just towed my camper for the first time, it is a 32 footer, weight around 6500lbs. The weight isnt a problem, but is this thing to long? I have a weight distribution hitch, air suspension on the truck.
Is there anything I can adjust or do to try to reduse the sway factor? Also, it was a windy day today, so that did contribute, but still. damn!!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just driving my workvan on a windy day is a challange.... cant imagine trying to tow a sail like that in the wind.

What year expy?

OP
OP
J

JSzub67

Reaction score
it is a 05 expedition. The trailer I used to have was 25 feet, so I did not think that 7 feet would make this much of a difference.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but now your combining 7 more feet of trailer for the wind to react against and 7 more feet of weight as well. Plus, is this trailer any taller than the last one?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

hautevue

Reaction score
What is the Weight Dist hitch brand? Is the weight you quote (6500#) the factory shipping weight or the actual weight of the TT loaded (propane, batteries, your personal stuff, etc.)?

Have you been to your local friendly truck scales? You should to get the real weights--your TV, your TT, and the tongue weight.

All those weights (and your TV capabilities) come into play with sway. I tow a 29'10" Outback trailer (7200# loaded with our stuff) with an '08 Expy (factory tow package) and just a Husky WDH. I have no sway issues.

Since sway when that truck blows your doors off is the problem, look for incorrect trailer tongue weight on the hitch, or insufficient WDH bars, etc.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try adding a sway bar. My family has a trailer around the same size and weight. We run both sway control and a sway bar. The wight distribution only really forces the trailer down. The sway bar will help a ton.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Friction_Sway_Control___Value_Sway_Control,83660

Here is what we have in addition to the weight distribution system. We towed the camper with my 2001 eddie bauer with tow package but no air suspension and a 2009 eddie bauer with tow package and air suspension.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
towing

a sway control would help alot and also tires with a stiffer side wall will help alot. i know that is pricy but it will help.

03EBExpyGA

Reaction score
You might want to try this Side load wind Calculator to help determine wind loading, you may be surprised to find (for example) a typical 25 foot travel trailer, 9 ft. in height, in a 25MPH cross wind will generate 650 pounds of side loading, compared to a 32 footer which generates 832 pounds. Check out the formula for yourself: Wind Force / Side Load Calculator

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
32 foot is asking for trouble on a 119" wheelbase. Even worse if that does not include the hitch (overall) measurement. With 119" (what my Durango was also) 26' is about the accepted max length. Does not matter what it weighs, as long as it is under the numbers, but that length is too much unless you keep it under a very minimum (too slow for highway use) speed.
I would think you need to get a bigger tow or smaller trailer.
Sorry, just my unpaid 2 cents.