Grill compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When manufacturers like Ford do a "restyle" like this, for some reason they often make sure the newer, more updated parts can't easily be installed on older vehicles. They always seem to change just enough to make it extremely difficult or impractical to upgrade an older vehicle. In this case, the entire front fascia was changed. This includes the grille, headlights, fog lights, front bumper, and all the structure underneath.

The 2007-14 parts are pictured above, the 2015-17 below:

2007-14_FrontFascia.png

2015-17_FrontFascia.png

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t completely agree with that, you can convert a 2nd gen front end to a 3rd gen front end with some swapping. Why didn’t they do this when they switched the design from the 2006 to the 2007 then? I think it’s just what happens when they change up a vehicles appearance, parts aren’t going to fit or be comparable 100%.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't say you couldn't swap parts. What I said was they often try to make it difficult rather than easy. . .

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Too be honest, I don't think they necessarily try to make it hard. I think it's just the nature of the change and they aren't actively trying to keep them compatible. It would only help them if things were easily changed. Ford especially knows the value of allowing a customer to customize their vehicle to the way they want it. The frame, fenders and hood are interchangeable. That leaves having to change the bumper assemblies, headlights and grill only. Pretty easy in my opinion.
Once my new bumper gets here, the coming week or next hopefully, I'm going to take some solid measurements and see what it's going to take to modify an 07-14 grill so it will fit and look good. Because I'm using an aftermarket bumper, I can easily go with customizing a grill. Especially now that we know where the difference is. I suspect it's only going to take a height modification for the fit. To make it look good? Wait and see...

Last edited:

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to disagree. Ford probably prefers that we don't customize anything. The tight integration of electronics and other systems is evidence to support this assertion. If you're missing an option, for example, good luck getting help from Ford to make that change to your vehicle. The dealer won't touch it and Ford won't support them (or you). Sometimes making a change will even void your warranty.

The main reason they don't want you making changes though is the fact their business model is based on people trading in vehicles for new ones. If they do a restyle (like the 2015 changes) but you can easily bolt those parts onto an older vehicle to make it look like it's newer, then you might be less likely to want to get rid of your old truck and buy a newer one. :)

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to disagree. Ford probably prefers that we don't customize anything. The tight integration of electronics and other systems is evidence to support this assertion. If you're missing an option, for example, good luck getting help from Ford to make that change to your vehicle. The dealer won't touch it and Ford won't support them (or you). Sometimes making a change will even void your warranty.

The main reason they don't want you making changes though is the fact their business model is based on people trading in vehicles for new ones. If they do a restyle (like the 2015 changes) but you can easily bolt those parts onto an older vehicle to make it look like it's newer, then you might be less likely to want to get rid of your old truck and buy a newer one. :)
I lived outside Detroit for the last four years. I've seen it first hand at all the shows and in the companies themselves. Ford and GM both work pretty closely with the A/M suppliers. Roush? SLP? SEMA would also disagree with you. Livernois is packed with brand new vehicles with window stickers still attached. Their dynos are going non-stop.
Of course they also are smart enough to keep their options open with the warranty denial angle for the sheep that say "ok", but the Magnusson-Moss Act pretty much makes them the dog barking at the end of a chain unless you do something pretty dumb.
As far as the 2015 restyle... Give me the bumper, grill and headlights and I'll turn your 07-14 Expy into a 15-17 look alike in a couple of hours or less.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Point taken but I was talking about factory OEM parts and upgrades, not anything from the aftermarket. . .
Arguably companies like Roush and SLP are just extensions of Ford and GM. We had a cook out hosted by SLP last year for the Camaro Super fest. Outstanding company. They were packed wall to wall with both GM and Fords being modified for Ford and GM.
Don't forget, both Ford and GM also have a performance side where they sell performance parts to upgrade your cars and trucks. FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) and Chevy Performance Parts. Both those extensions are there to purposely allow the customer to modify their cars the way they want them whether it's make them faster or cosmetically unique.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Still waiting for my bumper from Iron Bull. Should be within the next couple of weeks. I ordered it 7/31. I'm not going to do anything with the grill until I have that.