Grinding noise during startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know who the oil question was direct to but thought I’d share my experience.

I have been changing my oil every 5-7k since new. Always use a motorcraft filter and started with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 then switched to Mobil 1 EP 5w30.

Started the sound at some point after the first change (PP) and didn’t make a bit of difference when I switched to the Mobil. Been driving it for 15k making the noise. It’s only after it sits overnight.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t know who the oil question was direct to but thought I’d share my experience.

I have been changing my oil every 5-7k since new. Always use a motorcraft filter and started with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 then switched to Mobil 1 EP 5w30.

Started the sound at some point after the first change (PP) and didn’t make a bit of difference when I switched to the Mobil. Been driving it for 15k making the noise. It’s only after it sits overnight.

Have you made a warranty claim regarding the noise? If mine ever starts, I'll be going to the dealer to get it resolved under warranty.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you made a warranty claim regarding the noise? If mine ever starts, I'll be going to the dealer to get it resolved under warranty.

I haven’t yet as there hasn’t been an actual fix and it runs fine besides that. That SSM I posted about earlier is supposed to be issued as a TSB soon so once it’s out I will (all that is hearsay though). I still have 10k left on the bumper to bumper warranty so I’m not in a big rush. I absolutely hate going to the dealer so I wait until I have a list of things and get it all taken care of at once.

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
What oil filter are you using? A cheap one, without the anti-drain back, will dry start the engine.
I don’t know...I just bought it Friday and has been in the shop since Monday...I was planning on going full synthetic immediately after delivery since I don’t trust the dealer

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
Dealer called and they will need it for two weeks since parts are on back ordered, but schedule to ship next week. Wtf...we will see if it’s fixed. Basically haven’t driven it except home and back to dealer.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what are they going to fix? they are wasting your time. there is no fix available. MOST ecoboost will do this at some point. Im not saying there isnt a fix, im saying there is not one discussed, published, available, acknowledged, etc.

would love to know what they are "fixing" for you

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What oil filter are you using? A cheap one, without the anti-drain back, will dry start the engine.

If part of the reason for the cam phaser noise is dry start (and I hear it's often worse after the car has not been started for days), why don't they just correct that? Most engines have a system to pressurize oil prior to start. I'm guessing the 3.5L EB does as well but that it simply is not getting sufficient coverage to the problem areas? It is well documented that at least 50% of engine wear happens at start-up. I find it crazy that there is a market for aftermarket pre-lube systems. OEM designs should have this covered in spades!! If my cars have been sitting idle for days, I always cycle the ignition on and off a couple of times before moving key to start.

This being the first "push button" start vehicle I've owned, I'm not sure if just hitting the on button (w/o the brake pedal depressed), and having the instrument panel come alive, is doing a oil pressurization - does anyone know?? I sure don't hear any sound that would indicate it's moving oil.

If the system does not have pre start oil pressurization, shame on Ford. If that's the case, I would start looking into an add on system.

https://www.cpperformance.com/products/Oil/engine-pre-lube.htm
http://engineprelube.com/

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're probably putting new faulty parts in to get the car past the warranty period. Then when they rattle again the customer can pay for the updated parts if the warranty is over.... Possibility....

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If part of the reason for the cam phaser noise is dry start (and I hear it's often worse after the car has not been started for days), why don't they just correct that? Most engines have a system to pressurize oil prior to start. I'm guessing the 3.5L EB does as well but that it simply is not getting sufficient coverage to the problem areas? It is well documented that at least 50% of engine wear happens at start-up. I find it crazy that there is a market for aftermarket pre-lube systems. OEM designs should have this covered in spades!! If my cars have been sitting idle for days, I always cycle the ignition on and off a couple of times before moving key to start.

This being the first "push button" start vehicle I've owned, I'm not sure if just hitting the on button (w/o the brake pedal depressed), and having the instrument panel come alive, is doing a oil pressurization - does anyone know?? I sure don't hear any sound that would indicate it's moving oil.

If the system does not have pre start oil pressurization, shame on Ford. If that's the case, I would start looking into an add on system.

https://www.cpperformance.com/products/Oil/engine-pre-lube.htm
http://engineprelube.com/

I do know that the fuel pump pre-charges when you open the drivers door! No clue on oiling system.