Grinding noise during startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that would explain the issue. So depressing/holding the accelerator to the floor at startup will allow the engine to crank but not fire?

Regarding the TSB, did your dealer say what Ford is offering to do? If they are just replacing worn parts in hopes they'll last past your warranty, that's BALONEY. What they should do is include a oil pressure system that fixes the original design shortcoming.

This isn't getting it done and needs some help :sad72:

View attachment 32625

I’m not so sure it’s as bad as the oil pump if it’s only on startup conditions. Could be I guess, but I’d guess rather loss of pressure when off.

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
after three weeks at the dealer...I was told on friday, today is the day it will be ready. SO, I called dealer this afternoon to find out when I can swing by to pick it up and I was informed the parts were back ordered. These guys are full of crap and I'm driving down there tomorrow to talk to the GM, since I met him before, to explain how bad this situation has become. I am about to make my first car payment and I've only driven it for one day. According to them, they need it for another week...ugh...this is the worst car owning experience.

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
25 days at the dealer and I got it back. They had asked for a 5 more days and told them it's fine, but dealer WILL cover my monthly payment since they took so long to get to it. well, they got it done within two days. No more gringing or knocking at startup. Runs really well so far...but I will never go to chaparral Ford in Devine texas. They promised me a full set of all weather mats, and front window tint for our troubles...they only order the front and middle seat mats, but no third row or cargo area like they said they would. The window tinting was not done and wasn't going to leave it there for another three days for them to do it. Also, as I picked it up, the detail guy showed something to the salesman in the rear and the salesman told him to go away. I ignored it....and checked it out afterwards and saw the right rear light housing is loose and there was water/moisture inside. additionally, The door panel was also out of alignment as well, which wasn't like that when I dropped it off. I decided to take it as is and made an appointment at another dealer closer to home that I trust, which I serviced my other cars at...it's under warranty, so they looked at it and it was a quick fix for less than an hour...anyways, don't do business with Chaparral Ford!!! I wrote the Sales director to let him know off all the issues, how shady I have been treated...and how they have lied to my face every time I was there or called to check on my vehicle status.

ExpyWeave

Reaction score
Same grinding noise as described above in 2018 Platinum. Cam phasers replaced (in shop for 3 weeks.) 10 months later, grinding noise has returned. Assuming cam phasers not holding oil pressure AGAIN. Under warranty, but in the year and a half we have owned this vehicle, in shop 4 times. Not happy.