Grinding/Rattle Heard When Letting Off The Gas Pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I let off the gas pedal, I can hear a clunking type rattle noise. I guess it has to be the transmission...I hear it mostly next to the drive thru wall, but sometimes it's loud enough to hear next to another car. Any clue what this might be or anyone heard this? Is it normal for this new 10 speed?

I brought it up to a service tech but they couldn't replicated it at the dealership...going for a drive in the next few days with one of them.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As we always recommend, make an audio recording of the sound. That way if it doesn't act up at the shop, you've got backup to show the service advisor.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did that with the mirror issue and even had video...and they said they didn't have an answer. Apparently even Ford doesn't have an answer! But I will get one none the less and see what happens!

O5111

Reaction score
Does it only happen when cold? If so, mine does it and so does my F150.

Recording never works for me, they still tell me they have to replicate it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
14 years later, and they still can't make a cam phaser work.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been hearing a metallic grinding sound after making a turn in 2WH mode on my 2018 Expy 4x4. It only happens in 2WH, not in 4A. Been to the dealer, couldn't reproduce. When I insisted they finally agreed to order a $10 part (check valve) under bulletin
SSM 47360. They said they'd replace it once once the part gets in.

Turns out the service advisor that dealt with me no longer works there, and he never added any notes to my account nor did he order the part.

Dealing with the service department again today, they're saying they'll need to troubleshoot the issue and if they determine the check valve is at fault, they'll order it.

I'm telling them I have four kids, and can't just afford to leave the car with them to troubleshoot again for an issue when it's already been troubleshot.

Called the parts department directly but no one answers the phone the whole day.

Part of me regrets not getting a Lincoln. I know service departments vary by dealership, but it's really turned into one big circus with a high employee turnover and zero Fs given with regards to customer vehicle.

For an $83k truck they have a lot of work to do.

/Rant Over

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gordon you can bring your Ford to a Lincoln dealer, and vice versa for service. Ford is Ford. I used to buy my parts for my Lincoln's at the Ford dealer up the street, due to a better discount. Had a friend at Ford that gave way better price. Had to overnight order some parts, but was no biggie to me. Lincoln service usually gives the White glove treatment, as compared to Ford's blue collar attitude.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
This was covered in another thread. It may be a bad turbo 'blow off' valve. Are you getting a 'under boost' code?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been hearing a metallic grinding sound after making a turn in 2WH mode on my 2018 Expy 4x4. It only happens in 2WH, not in 4A. Been to the dealer, couldn't reproduce. When I insisted they finally agreed to order a $10 part (check valve) under bulletin
SSM 47360. They said they'd replace it once once the part gets in.

Turns out the service advisor that dealt with me no longer works there, and he never added any notes to my account nor did he order the part.

Dealing with the service department again today, they're saying they'll need to troubleshoot the issue and if they determine the check valve is at fault, they'll order it.

I'm telling them I have four kids, and can't just afford to leave the car with them to troubleshoot again for an issue when it's already been troubleshot.

Called the parts department directly but no one answers the phone the whole day.

Part of me regrets not getting a Lincoln. I know service departments vary by dealership, but it's really turned into one big circus with a high employee turnover and zero Fs given with regards to customer vehicle.

For an $83k truck they have a lot of work to do.

/Rant Over

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf