Grinding Turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JediKnight2

Reaction score
When I bought my 06 Expedition there weren't any issues when I made turns during my test drive. I made sharp turns in a parking lot, etc to see if there was any grinding or popping. Immediately after purchase I went and purchased new tires for the vehicle. Good Year Wranglers is what I got. That's when I noticed a rubbing sound/feel when turning. It feels the same way it would if you were in four wheel drive and you made a sharp turn. From my reading I guess it could be one of 2 things. Rear differential or not enough vacuum being held on the hubs. Any suggestions on where to begin looking?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your guy at the tire shop either knocked something loose or pinched a vacuum line, or maybe bent something. If it's me, bring it back, have them look carefully, they hit something. Also have them torque wheels by hand, 100 ft lbs 12mm studs, 140 ft lbs if 14mm.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking again they knocked the Iwe four wheel drive sensors. Their vacuum controlled. If you mess with a vacuum line going to them, or the sensor itself, the 4 wheel drive engages. You don't want that happening on dry pavement. Sounds like rocks crunching. When vacuum to the sensors drops the 4 wheel drive kicks in. Common accurance when an inexperienced tech hits a sensor or hose.

OP
OP
J

JediKnight2

Reaction score
I am 4 hours away and 1500 miles on the truck from when they did the work. I have noticed that after I drive around it goes away somewhat. Like I said, it feels like I'm partially in 4 wheel drive. I crawled up under the truck and disconnected the vacuum lines on both sides. I started up the truck and the vacuum on the drivers side is so weak you cannot feel it. On the passenger side you can feel it. So I assume the vacuum isn't enough to keep it in 2 wheel drive. I can verify that tomorrow if I jack the truck up and spin the tires I guess. What would your first step be here...just replace the check valve and solenoid?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds about right, that and take your time and inspect or replace that side vacuum line. Pull the #104 fuse for 4 wheel drive.

OP
OP
J

JediKnight2

Reaction score
OK...tested the vacuum system and jacked the truck up. Everything is turning when it should and not turning in 2WD. I've read that the rear end can cause this sound...but it's odd that it almost goes away entirely when warmed up.