had to tell somone,lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsbaker

Reaction score
Thanks to the Mod. for the comments about my first post. I have been lurking around for a few weeks on here and this thread was the perfect time for me register.

I do agree on the 3rd generation explorers. We loved ours, it was an 02 but when we bought it you would have sworn it was brand new. It's condition is what helped me get so much money from my insurance when it was totaled. As we were standing in the slavage yard watching it being taken off the wrecker I told my other half, you watch I am going to buy another one. We gave the dealer our choices, 02 or newer explorer, Expedition or Tahoe and the expedition is the first thing he found for us. I have been wanting one for years anyways and I am really glad I got it.

Another thing about the buy here pay here car lots. if you form a good relationship with yours they will treat you right. It seems like they did with the window problem although maybe their mechanic is not the brightest. Most people would have gone after the relay long before putting in a motor much less a fuse box. Our dealer has an onsite mechanic who did the brakes on mine the day before we got it, they also had the bezel around the radio repainted since the paint was flaking off. The silverado we got has a bad sensor now and it requires pulling the intake manifold to replace. They will be doing this a couple weeks at their expense also.

Last edited:
OP
OP

01xltexpo

Reaction score
at least i didnt have to pay for the window fix, i just got off the phone with them and they said they report all on time payments to the credit burue, so thats a plus. It is it the knock sensor? i replaced a few of these under the intake, they have a the sensor sets down in a whole and there is a rubber plug covering it that supposed to be waterproof but it isnt, and water gets in it floods the knock sensor with water and ruins it. The service bullitin calls to put rtv around the seal. There is 2 of them under the intake, you might want to have them replace the other one as well, even if you have to pay alittle, there cheap and it saves you from having to have the intake off again when the other one goes bad.

jsbaker

Reaction score
I guess i should check with mine and see if they report, never even asked. Atleast now you know yours does for sure. It is the knock sensor. From what I read the other day it is a common problem on the 5.3 liter engines. I know the dealer caused it since you can tell the engine was very recently pressure washed. I am fully capable of changing them myself but not on a truck we've owned for 2 weeks. Told our dealer the other day about there being two and that I wanted both changed even if I had to pay for one of them. I said as long as they were in there it would be stupid not to change both of them.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am confused.... What vehicle has 2 knock sensors? Chevy does and the new 3V Ford motors do but the 2V motors only have one sensor.
Did I miss something?

Matt R

OP
OP

01xltexpo

Reaction score
all gm 99-2002 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 98-2002 5.7 LS1 engines i know for sure they have 2 knock sensors......... Just heard from insurance company, they can fix my expo. there replacing the the whole passenger side from qauter panel to qauter panel. At first they gave me an 06 expo to drive, then when i was about to leave and they stoped me and said since i wasnt 25 yet they could let me drive it, thats crazy, they gave me an 06 hyundai elantra. It so small, but at least it gets good gas mileage!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aaaahh, I was having trouble deciphering what vehicle you were talking about having 2 knock sensors. Chevy has had better knock detection for some time now.... Ford has only recently caught up with the new 3V stuff having the 2 knock sensors.

The funny thing is that my stock calibration for the knock sensor on my 03 were really screwed up and not giving me any timing at part throttle (since the knock sensor both adds and takes away timing on most Fords). It runs and sounds alot better at part throttle now and gets better mileage.....

Matt R

Last edited:

dimartino

Reaction score
Man that sounds familliar. Had the Expy at a local dealership for the infamous leaking window and rusted GEM module replacement. The dealer decided to swap the starter for some unknown reason without my consent. Sure enough, about the 3rd time I start it, the bendix doesnt engage the flywheel. WTF?? Back to the dealer, we're sorry we cant replicate the problem.
Been dealing with it till it gets warm out. The funniest part is it never f-ing makes the griding noise when your alone in your driveway. It's when you have 20 people around you pulling out of a fancy restaurant (like White Castle) and everyone looks at you laughing !!!!

OP
OP

01xltexpo

Reaction score
i hear ya there! when i'm in public pray for it not to grind when i start it,lol. I did alot of searching to find other poeple with the same problem and your the 6th person i heard of with that problem, and with everyone there was a few teeth on the flywheel worn down. Have them inspect your flywheel for worn down teeth. I dont know why everybody is having a problem with there flywheel. it sucks cause its a 40 doller flywheel and costs me 600 to put it in. If you want it to grind at the dealer then what you do is when there with you, just keep bumping the starter over, not enough to start the engine, if you keep doing that youll get .around to the bad spot on your flywheel and it will grind. It's real embarrising when you still got dealer plates on it and it makes that loud grinding!

OP
OP

01xltexpo

Reaction score
hey dimartino, that pic underneath your name, how do you get your pic there, i have a pic of mine i want to put there but i cant figure out how