Headers? Yes? No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
1955moose said:
You might want to do your homework, check with some speedshops in your area, ask them what's the best fitting headers for say the mustangs 4.6/5.4 engine. What bolts up the easiest? What has best exaust flow? It's frustrating even when your just swapping in a replacement stock part, even they don't fit, or break. Hang in there bubba, you get a finished SUV that you can send us pics of.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

We did some homework; my tech that I rely on has done many header installs on a variety of vehicle but never an older Expy; most have been on Mustangs and Camaros. I also talked to the 5 Star guys and they have seen best results with Gibson headers, that is, in general, not specific to any make or model. Just found out that the Flex A Lite, "vehicle specific, direct fit" fan kit does not fit. The Flex A Lite kit is for an vertical flow but, for some reason, my radiator has a vertical flow. So the saga continues but we are having fun.:rolleyes:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Flex-a-lite mounting brackets needed some modification to fit. Wasn’t too hard.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
My Flex-a-lite mounting brackets needed some modification to fit. Wasn’t too hard.

That's not the problem. My radiator "tanks" are on the sides of the radiator, not the top and bottom so the Flex A Lite kit won't work. Called Flex A Lite and they have confirmed. I need a different kit for this radiator.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom just did his fan conversion about 2 months back. Good swap there. Tom went through 2 oem type clutch fans in less than 3 months. He is one to pick the brain of on the fan. Sounds like those Gibson's are the ticket, just gotta tweak it for fit.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
1955moose said:
Tom just did his fan conversion about 2 months back. Good swap there. Tom went through 2 oem type clutch fans in less than 3 months. He is one to pick the brain of on the fan. Sounds like those Gibson's are the ticket, just gotta tweak it for fit.

Chasing another fan option at the moment. FF Dynamics offers a nice setup, basically built to order so tank location is configured into the kit.

https://ffdynamics.com/products/expedition

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not the problem. My radiator "tanks" are on the sides of the radiator, not the top and bottom so the Flex A Lite kit won't work. Called Flex A Lite and they have confirmed. I need a different kit for this radiator.

Sounds like they sent you the wrong kit. They sent me 1/2 of the right kit. I was able to make the other half work.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
ExplorerTom said:
Sounds like they sent you the wrong kit. They sent me 1/2 of the right kit. I was able to make the other half work.

Thanks Tom. I need to clear up my previous as my tech and I have been texting back and forth and I thought something was "lost in translation". I got out of the office early and stopped by the shop and saw the problem. First, the fan kit is simply just too big, as in wide; bigger than the radiator and makes contact with the ABS module on one side and other hardware on the other. My tanks are top and bottom, I misunderstood what Carlos was saying in his text.

I would very much appreciate any pictures, part numbers, and/or install modifications you had to make to complete your install. I looked in more detail at the FF Dynamics kits and hardware and like the looks of the stuff but don't like the method of attachment, i.e., through the radiator and secured on the front with heavy duty zip ties; I want mechanical attachments. We are also looking at OEM electric fan setups for later Expys as an option.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the driver side (the way it should look):
E90DBBC4-F5F0-4D40-912B-4228B4649303.jpg

Here's the passenger side:
7633CE9E-D17A-4AEE-A023-ECAF88EB3ED3.jpg

The left side of the bracket that attaches to the fan shroud is attached normally. The right side I had to attach through the plastic of the shroud. I used a nyloc nut on the inside to keep it from backing out. And then the outer bracket I had to make a clearance hole for the head of that other bolt.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tanks are top and bottom, I misunderstood what Carlos was saying in his text.

Really? I've had more than my share of experience with Expedition radiators. All are side end tanks. I haven't seen a top end tank for a very long time.

We are also looking at OEM electric fan setups for later Expys as an option.

I've heard the Raptor fans work too.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos Tom. You will just have to trust me on the tanks; they are top/bottom.

There were some other pics on my phone and it appears that your radiator might be after market? No way will the Flex A Lite kit work for my application; regardless of whether or not brackets would work, it just won't fit in the space.

Thanks for the tip on the Raptor fans, we will check them out or maybe have to fine a "universal" kit, not sure of the solution but I want electric fans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire