Heavy Duty Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have an 07-08 or 09-11 Ford offers the B radiator for super cooling only and it says it replaces the standard A radiator too. The standard radiator comes up as discontinued. This makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, cheaper to only produce and stock one part that fits both applications as these trucks get older.
So is there truly a HD radiator for the gen 3?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is there truly a HD radiator for the gen 3?

Yes, on the 5.4 Triton powered 3rd gens if you payed for the Heavy-Duty trailer tow package you got an HD radiator that is different from the standard one.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/713613-heavy-duty-radiator-differences.html

“I did the work over the weekend. The standard-cooling radiator carries a 7L148005AC engineering no. (this is the sticker on the part itself), which corresponds to a 7L1Z-8005-A part no. The super cooling engineering no. is 7L148005BC and the part no. is 7L1Z-8005-B.

There is actually a visible difference once you put both radiators side-by-side. The fins extend farther on one side on the super-cooling part -- flush with the side tank on one side and within 1/4" or so of flush on the other, whereas on the standard-cooling part the fins are flush on one side but only within 1/2" or so of flush on the other. Also, the fins are much thinner, aiding heat transfer (and making them much more fragile, easier to flatten if you brush against them).”

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, on the 5.4 Triton powered 3rd gens if you payed for the Heavy-Duty trailer tow package you got an HD radiator that is different from the standard one.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/713613-heavy-duty-radiator-differences.html

“I did the work over the weekend. The standard-cooling radiator carries a 7L148005AC engineering no. (this is the sticker on the part itself), which corresponds to a 7L1Z-8005-A part no. The super cooling engineering no. is 7L148005BC and the part no. is 7L1Z-8005-B.

There is actually a visible difference once you put both radiators side-by-side. The fins extend farther on one side on the super-cooling part -- flush with the side tank on one side and within 1/4" or so of flush on the other, whereas on the standard-cooling part the fins are flush on one side but only within 1/2" or so of flush on the other. Also, the fins are much thinner, aiding heat transfer (and making them much more fragile, easier to flatten if you brush against them).”

You see @07navi HD radiators do exist.

Christmas is coming I suppose you want to jump on Santa now?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So why does the manual say it only takes one more pint of water?

From post 43:

Also, the fins are much thinner, aiding heat transfer (and making them much more fragile, easier to flatten if you brush against them).”

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I note the links in my 2008 posts in the linked thread don't work. No surprise after 12 years. :) The HD radiator was in my 2007 Expedition with HD Tow for sure. We compared part numbers on the stickers at that time.

07Navi': I don't see your posts so don't bother replying if you expect me to see or react. :)

-- Chuck

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, some real world experience to add to the ragging conversation regarding Ford's mysterious HD radiators for 3.5 Ecoboosts...As noted elsewhere in these forums, I have a almost totally stock 2015 Expy XLT...The only upgrades are a Ford auxiliary trans oil cooler, 7 way tow plug and aftermarket EBC. Because of the stupid virus, wife and I bought a 25' trailer which weights in at about the 6,000 GVW level. Since March 2020, we have made 8 trips, just completing the last portion of the longest of those trips at about 6,000 miles, traveling from the PNW across northern states, down to Texas, west across southern states, up through Arizona and now in northern Nevada...Through the south the temps have been in the 100 degree range. Engine/transmission overheating results are: engine temp never off dead center normal, transmission never above 208 degrees (except for one time after refueling when I forgot to engage tow/haul)!

So, I truly still do not know if Ford makes a HD radiator for the Expy Ecoboost, but I ask the simple question: If the huge amount of testing that goes into a vehicle shows that "one" radiator functions under all service conditions, why would they make a "regular service unit" when there is little actual cost difference?

PS: Does anybody have a suggestion regarding making the tow/haul mode the default mode?...

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, some real world experience to add to the ragging conversation regarding Ford's mysterious HD radiators for 3.5 Ecoboosts...As noted elsewhere in these forums, I have a almost totally stock 2015 Expy XLT...The only upgrades are a Ford auxiliary trans oil cooler, 7 way tow plug and aftermarket EBC. Because of the stupid virus, wife and I bought a 25' trailer which weights in at about the 6,000 GVW level. Since March 2020, we have made 8 trips, just completing the last portion of the longest of those trips at about 6,000 miles, traveling from the PNW across northern states, down to Texas, west across southern states, up through Arizona and now in northern Nevada...Through the south the temps have been in the 100 degree range. Engine/transmission overheating results are: engine temp never off dead center normal, transmission never above 208 degrees (except for one time after refueling when I forgot to engage tow/haul)!

So, I truly still do not know if Ford makes a HD radiator for the Expy Ecoboost, but I ask the simple question: If the huge amount of testing that goes into a vehicle shows that "one" radiator functions under all service conditions, why would they make a "regular service unit" when there is little actual cost difference?

PS: Does anybody have a suggestion regarding making the tow/haul mode the default mode?...
What does the virus have to do with the trailer?