Heavy Duty Radiator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PS: Does anybody have a suggestion regarding making the tow/haul mode the default mode?...

The shifts can be adjusted using a tune. You probably wouldn't want tow haul on all the time, as it is very agressive with engine braking. Five star and other tuners offer modified shift programs.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expy and like many others was told it had the HD towing package which it does not. I added the trans cooler and factory brake control but since I tow in the mountains have had several instances where the temp still gets too hot. Ford will only tell me that I have the standard cooling radiator CL3Z-8005 A. Has anyone swap the standard out for the HD CL3Z-8005-B? And was id a direct swap or were other parts needed?
Check out my new post on this string. My recent towing experience does not jive with yours...You are of course using tow/haul? Maybe something else is causing your overheat issue?

Belias21

Reaction score
OK, some real world experience to add to the ragging conversation regarding Ford's mysterious HD radiators for 3.5 Ecoboosts...As noted elsewhere in these forums, I have a almost totally stock 2015 Expy XLT...The only upgrades are a Ford auxiliary trans oil cooler, 7 way tow plug and aftermarket EBC. Because of the stupid virus, wife and I bought a 25' trailer which weights in at about the 6,000 GVW level. Since March 2020, we have made 8 trips, just completing the last portion of the longest of those trips at about 6,000 miles, traveling from the PNW across northern states, down to Texas, west across southern states, up through Arizona and now in northern Nevada...Through the south the temps have been in the 100 degree range. Engine/transmission overheating results are: engine temp never off dead center normal, transmission never above 208 degrees (except for one time after refueling when I forgot to engage tow/haul)!

So, I truly still do not know if Ford makes a HD radiator for the Expy Ecoboost, but I ask the simple question: If the huge amount of testing that goes into a vehicle shows that "one" radiator functions under all service conditions, why would they make a "regular service unit" when there is little actual cost difference?

PS: Does anybody have a suggestion regarding making the tow/haul mode the default mode?...

Been doing a bit of digging here and I want to add the trans oil cooler to my 2017 EL XLT. I found the three part numbers from one of your older posts and have those in my shopping cart. My question is... is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Any special tools needed? I understand this to be a pretty easy install. I'm definitely handy, but don't do a whole lot of auto work. I could have sworn I saw a post a while back where someone did a step-by-step but I can't seem to find it again. Anything you can provide would be helpful!

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The entire front fascia of the truck unbolts in about 45 minutes, allowing full access for the auxiliary trans cooler area. You will also need the Lisle cooler line disconnect tool. You will find the trailer power lead capped off and buried in the wire loom under the brake master cylinder/booster. Search the forum, the answers are there...Take it slow, not a big or complicated job...Good luck...

Belias21

Reaction score
The entire front fascia of the truck unbolts in about 45 minutes, allowing full access for the auxiliary trans cooler area. You will also need the Lisle cooler line disconnect tool. You will find the trailer power lead capped off and buried in the wire loom under the brake master cylinder/booster. Search the forum, the answers are there...Take it slow, not a big or complicated job...Good luck...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I rarely use Tow/Haul on my '17 and it didn't exist on my '07. 6000 pound trailer at most. I do use it in what passes for mountains here on the east coast but only if I remember which is usually on downgrades where the added engine/transmission braking is very handy towing -- and not towing. Coming down the steep grade at Grand Father Mountain in western North Carolina Tow/Haul kept the truck's speeds in check.

-- Chuck

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I rarely use Tow/Haul on my '17 and it didn't exist on my '07. 6000 pound trailer at most. I do use it in what passes for mountains here on the east coast but only if I remember which is usually on downgrades where the added engine/transmission braking is very handy towing -- and not towing. Coming down the steep grade at Grand Father Mountain in western North Carolina Tow/Haul kept the truck's speeds in check.

-- Chuck
Are you checking your trans temps?...The one time I watched my trans temps raise to a concerning point is when I neglected to engage Tow/Haul after refueling...Otherwise absolutely no temps over 208 degrees on 100 degree days, over long steep grades...

PS: My trailer is also at the 6,000 pound level, which is pretty well maxed out for tongue weight IMHO...