Help adding 7 pin to ‘17 XLT 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
UHall will do it in 5 seconds for the price of the connector.

If that were true at my local U-Haul I’d be all over it. Actually, that goes for just about every shop near me. Even our “15 minute” Jiffy Lube takes closer to 45 minutes for an oil change.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. You need the pigtail to connect your brake controller to the plug that's behind the dash, to the right of the steering wheel
2: Go to Walmart and buy the combination 7 pin / 4 pin so you have both without needing an adapter
3. If you want 12 V to the trailer then you’ll need to run a wire from the Orange wire (harness under hood) back to the 7 pin plug

I have a 2016 XLT and I cut off the 4 pin mount and then used metal tap screws to mount the 7/4 pin plug. I also ran a 12 V line that I wrapped in plastic wire wrap protector under the Expy. Using zip ties. If you search my postings you’ll see pictures and instructions. I used EZ tap to tap into the Orange wire. The Orange is specifically for the 12 V to the trailer at 20 or 30 amps.

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
1. You need the pigtail to connect your brake controller to the plug that's behind the dash, to the right of the steering wheel
2: Go to Walmart and buy the combination 7 pin / 4 pin so you have both without needing an adapter
3. If you want 12 V to the trailer then you’ll need to run a wire from the Orange wire (harness under hood) back to the 7 pin plug

I have a 2016 XLT and I cut off the 4 pin mount and then used metal tap screws to mount the 7/4 pin plug. I also ran a 12 V line that I wrapped in plastic wire wrap protector under the Expy. Using zip ties. If you search my postings you’ll see pictures and instructions. I used EZ tap to tap into the Orange wire. The Orange is specifically for the 12 V to the trailer at 20 or 30 amps.

Thank you!!! I wish those would’ve popped up when I searched several days ago. Probably my keywords sucked.

So tapping the orange wire avoids running the 12v direct off of the battery, correct? I have all fuses in place in my box. I checked all of them and confirmed the locations using my owners manual.

I too have the Prodigy controller and really liked it in my Explorer. The harness to connect that to OE trailer brake wires arrived today. I already pulled that harness from behind the dash.

The 7 pin I ordered can be returned to Amazon. I’ll check my local Walmart for the dual output. Do you recall what gauge wire you used? Did you pin it like mentioned in one of your threads or just tap it?

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
I just bumped into this video. Although it’s on a ‘13 F-150 scroll to 6:10 for a possible 12v near the rear bumper.

I was so focused on finding the elusive plug that I didn’t dig into the harness. I’ll look at this in the morning.

intense98neon

Reaction score
I just did this last summer on our 2017 EL. There is no reverse, or 12v positive wire at the back if you do not have the factory 7 pin towing package. I just went with the brake wire, and the other 4 pins. I bought a new 7 pin connector, and wired up the brake, and the 4 pin connector to it. I did add the factory brake controller, and activated it in FORSCAN myself, it was a piece of cake if you have the OBD2 adapter, and a laptop.

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
Ran to Walmart and Oreilly Auto to grab everything I should need for tomorrow morning. The kit I ordered from Amazon will go back tomorrow.

I did not have time to search for this red wire near the back bumper but from the sounds of it, it won’t be there anyway.

I’ll see if I can locate the orange wire in the engine compartment.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone I could FT with you and show you where everything is located Friday night. I’d just need to swap cars with the wife. PM me tonight if needed.

Last edited: