Help! Clunking/jerk when accelerating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
I don't remember if it was on this site but I remember a case that was similar. If you changed the lower control arms make sure they are on the correct side. The other individual had them swapped.
I'm not saying youre wrong, cause ford's as weird as hell, but that wouldn't make much sense to me considering it's one clunk per tire rotation?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After you rack it up and fully inspect, let us know.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I'm really hoping it's not that, but something in the back of my mind is telling me that's what it is and it's expensive as hell..

Wellll not necessarily. Look into it. If it is will flushing out the old oil help? Drain it and try to flush it by refilling and draining couple times. See if symptoms improve.

Pipeliner

Reaction score
I had a problem with shuddering when accelerating, especially when turning. It turned out for me it was the clutch packs in the rear axle.
I am having the same exact issue. What did you have to do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
D

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
Transfer case.
OK so you were right. It is something pertaining to the transfer case and or shift motor. I did some research and removed fuse #104 from under the hood and the problem went away. Fuse #104 is for "Transfer Case Shift Relays, Torque On Demano (TOO) Relay". Any idea on what my problem could be?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Start w simple inexpensive items like the oil. If old it will chatter at best and lurch and jam/slip at worse. That lube w friction reducer makes a world of difference.

When I dropped mine it had water from the icy winters here due to condensation. It looked like grey cloudy milkshake. No bueno.

It’s crystal clear now.

OP
OP
D

Djarratt2607

Reaction score
Start w simple inexpensive items like the oil. If old it will chatter at best and lurch and jam/slip at worse. That lube w friction reducer makes a world of difference.

When I dropped mine it had water from the icy winters here due to condensation. It looked like grey cloudy milkshake. No bueno.

It’s crystal clear now.
I'll do a flush this weekend. Do you know if it safe for me to drive with that fuse removed? Esentially what I did by removing it, it completely disengages the clutches and powers for the 4wd. I guess rendering it 2wd?i don't use the 4wd often anyway here in north Carolina. I read some thing that contradicted other things on other forums. Also, my tires are two different brands/treads. But both are the same size, I was reading that that can cause issues with the wheel speed sensors and cause the A4wd to kick in and out? Have you heard anything about that before? Thanks for the help.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 1st gen would get an odd engage disengage feeling on the highway from the transfer case.I changed the fluid but didn't change. It had 230K on it.
I pulled the fuse and it was smooth. Only put it back in when I had to pull a large tree stump out to the street that was uprooted wind.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my #104 fuse pulled for close to a year. I was at Ocean beach here in San Francisco on Wednesday, and their was some fairly deep sand I had to push through. After I did, I put the fuse back in, just in case I had an issue leaving. As to your question, it doesn't cause any problems. Theirs many troubleshooting procedures online when you decide to fix it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk