Help me stay a Ford man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
With a warranty you haven't got a problem in the world. Something seized and broke the belt. Could be the air conditioner compressor, which would account for oil everywhere.

With the turbo, you'd be up the creek with no warranty if it involved that, which is why I avoid them like a plague.

Everything mechanical's just waiting the break. That's what it does eventually.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a warranty you haven't got a problem in the world. Something seized and broke the belt. Could be the air conditioner compressor, which would account for oil everywhere.

With the turbo, you'd be up the creek with no warranty if it involved that, which is why I avoid them like a plague.

Everything mechanical's just waiting the break. That's what it does eventually.
I thought the same way about the turbos costing exuberant amounts of money ,but after pricing them on Rock Auto I was pleasantly surprised. The right turbo is $246.79 and the left turbo is $337.79 .... not exactly bank breaking prices.I realize it could get very expensive if the turbos grenade and parts get ingested by the engine, but if that occurred the engine would’ve most likely locked or at least hammered. It also would’ve had to push the parts through the intercooler for that to happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
The service department called. They say the water pump was seized up. As for the motor oil, they “think” there is a nick in the oil filter. They still have to get everything cleaned up and back together. Stay tuned.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would ask to see said water pump, not that it couldnt happen, but dayum, it seems odd
and how the heck it seized with such low miles?

OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
Glad to hear it wasn’t something catastrophic.

Yes, and hoping for no changes. I was kind of left with a disclaimer. I was told it was a mess (oil everywhere) and still needs cleaned up, almost as if there could still be something lurking under there.

OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
i would ask to see said water pump, not that it couldnt happen, but dayum, it seems odd
and how the heck it seized with such low miles?

Good point. Trainmaster mentioned a key statement earlier: "Everything mechanical's just waiting to break. That's what it does eventually."

The longer the “eventually” the more we trust a company (or a particular model). Granted there's always the "isolated case" or "freak occurrence." But the lower the miles the more doubt that creeps in.

OP
OP
B

bigcars

Reaction score
Final report:

The dealer observed three things:

1) There was nick in the oil filter.

2) The serpentine belt was shredded.

3) The water pump had pieces of belt tangled up in/wrapped around it. The water pump was seized.

So one of two possibilities:

1 Something put a hole in the filter, the oil caused the belt to slip and fail, and pieces of the belt caused the water pump failure.

2) The water pump seized, this caused the belt to fail, and a piece of the belt damaged the oil filter.

Not sure which of these seems more probable. Either way we’re back on the road, and with no turbo issues, I’m still a Ford man.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Final report:

The dealer observed three things:

1) There was nick in the oil filter.

2) The serpentine belt was shredded.

3) The water pump had pieces of belt tangled up in/wrapped around it. The water pump was seized.

So one of two possibilities:

1 Something put a hole in the filter, the oil caused the belt to slip and fail, and pieces of the belt caused the water pump failure.

2) The water pump seized, this caused the belt to fail, and a piece of the belt damaged the oil filter.

Not sure which of these seems more probable. Either way we’re back on the road, and with no turbo issues, I’m still a Ford man.
Or 3) the belt just failed ( age,heat, extra load with AC/ clutch kicked in working overtime because of the heat, towing which more than likely means higher rpms between shifts) and when it failed it shredded wrapping around the water pump seizing it and slapping a hole in the oil filter. Glad it’s all good now!

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the sequence of events my wifes' Mounty experienced:

1. Radiator hose blew
2. Coolant coated the serpentine belt which promptly exited the pulleys and beat the crap out of the engine compartment (that stuff is really slippery)

Damage: Serpentine belt, idler pulley, fan blades, radiator, shroud, alternator.