Help, where does this go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Found this hanging under passenger side of the Radiator. Looks like a temp sensor to me. It appears to be all plastic. I’m in the middle of a transmission swap and was tracing cooler line leak when I found this. I can’t see where it goes, truck is up on stands too tall for me to look from above. I think the previous owner said the radiator was changed during the motor swap.

Im very tired, in a lot of pain, and frustrated because this truck supposedly has a motor with only 40k on it. I can tell the block & heads look new, still has stickers on them. I don’t know if it’s a Jasper, Ford, or ? But I do know the shop wasn’t professional. Looks like they reused exhaust manifold bolts which a couple are loose. Trans bell housing to engine bolts were not torqued, little more than hand tight. No blue thread locker on anything so far. That really hard to get at top starter bolt, just leave it out! Oil filter adapter gasket leaking, oil pan gasket leaking at the rear (hopefully not rear main seal) Trans is out now but I haven’t crawled back under yet to see. It might be the oil filter adapter leaking following the pan lip back, it’s a very substantial leak. If the trans swap turns out successful, next project is engine oil leaks. I think they reused the vct solenoid seals in the valve covers, there leaking or I know at least one side is leaking oil.

Can someone tell me where this is supposed to be? I’m in too much pain now to search for it.

257C1E6F-1069-465C-BAFF-C6D8071E46ED.jpeg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sensor for my 2015 is mounted in front of the a/c condenser, right (passenger) side, about halfway between top and bottom.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah that's the external temp sensor. Just ziptie it somewhere out of the way.

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah that's the external temp sensor. Just ziptie it somewhere out of the way.
I feel stupid. Electronic HVAC, duh there would be an outside temp sensor. Being all plastic had me thinking it shouldn’t be a coolant temp sensor. But with less than professional shop doing the radiator swap, I was picturing a dummy plug left in the new radiator. Lol

They ripped out all the rubber that directs air into the condenser. Some of the trans cooler line clips are broken. I’m guessing the holder for this sensor is completely gone, I haven’t seen any place it was mounted. Zip tie it is then.

thank you

OP
OP
Kevin08

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With your skill and perseverance, you should be rebuilding helicopters or something.

I wasn’t blessed with the physical or mental capability. I’ve watch so many FordTechMakuloco transmission and valve train videos in order to get any of this done. I’m about ready to trade this thing soon as the transmission swap is successful. I feel like I’m drowning in needed repairs and upgrades to keep from future catastrophic failure. I don’t know the source of this replacement motor, so I don’t know if any upgraded parts were used. If it’s a Jasper, they do the high volume oil pump, etc. But I don’t know if they did that in 2019 when this motor was replaced. Im in so much pain all I want is a dependable vehicle I don’t have to worry about. Now I’m going to worry until I’ve seen with my own eyes that this motor has a M360HV oil pump, upgraded timing chain tensioners and the upgraded roller followers.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You're up to your eyeballs in work that's no fun. That misery can taint your judgement. When you get this thing running and it's not making bad noises you can take your time, enjoy the fruits of your labor and decide what path you want to take.

There's a million of these out there with stock oil pumps and tensioners, and most of them will run fine to a ripe old age.

Get it on the road and see what you've got before you let the worry set in. We've all laid in bed awake worrying about stuff that never happens or the bolt we may not remember tightening. And give yourself a break now and then.

I'm a couple of years older than you, and replace the timing chains and the thing throws a rod. 'm starting to understand that all this work isn't as much fun as it used to be.

But I haven't given up yet. Don't sell yourself short.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That sensor mounts to bottom of the upper radiator support. Has a little plastic pice it slides onto. Only reason I know was I had to replace my support last week.