Replacing Hankooks- how many miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGO1

Reaction score
2018 Limited - Installed Good Year Wrangler Fortitude HT all I can say Much Much Better than than the stock Hancooks which were terrible as previously noted.

WoodrowUSMC

Reaction score
Highly recommend Michelin LTX A/T2. Have a 2014 XLT, 4WD, and I pull a 33 foot 6,500 lb trailer and a 20 foot bass boat (not at same time of course) and the Michelins provide outstanding stability, great traction on all surfaces and a smooth ride. Tire performance is well worth the higher cost.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that was about what I had, perhaps a bit more. Today I am getting a set of Michelin Premier LTX put on. This will be my third set of "summers" and I am on my second set of dedicated winters. My second set of summers was Yokohama Parada Spec X. They were just OK. Tread life was not that good.
My first set of replacements were Michelin Premier tires. I bought them because they were "performance" tires. I found out too late that "performance" tires are made from softer compounds to get more grip, which means less life, plus generally have no treadlife warranty. My Michelin Defenders have a 70,000 treadlife warranty and I have no complaints of any kind. I run Hankooks on my old Ranger and love them. Typically get excess of 70,000 before the tread is worn enough for concern. My wife's 2017 Edge has OE Hankooks, which I am not at all proud of. She has 17,000 on the vehicle and I estimate over 50% treadwear. It might be possible that OE Hankooks and off the shelf Hankooks are different or not as well suited for heavier vehicles. Just to be sure, she'll get Michelin or at least something with a minimum of 70,000 warranty.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first set of replacements were Michelin Premier tires. I bought them because they were "performance" tires. I found out too late that "performance" tires are made from softer compounds to get more grip, which means less life, plus generally have no treadlife warranty. My Michelin Defenders have a 70,000 treadlife warranty and I have no complaints of any kind. I run Hankooks on my old Ranger and love them. Typically get excess of 70,000 before the tread is worn enough for concern. My wife's 2017 Edge has OE Hankooks, which I am not at all proud of. She has 17,000 on the vehicle and I estimate over 50% treadwear. It might be possible that OE Hankooks and off the shelf Hankooks are different or not as well suited for heavier vehicles. Just to be sure, she'll get Michelin or at least something with a minimum of 70,000 warranty.
I hear ya. I was comparing the Premiers and the Defenders as well as Pirelli Verde AS. My tire place didn't have stock on the Pirellis so it came down to both Michelins. You are right about the softer compound, I feel the Defenders appeared a bit stiffer. I run separate winters so these Premiers will never see snow. So far happy with them, then again they are Michelins! The Premiers offer a 100,000 kms warranty and the Defenders are 115,000 kms.

OP
OP
C

charlespsu

Reaction score
I just came back from a 600 mile trip with my new Michelin Defender LTX M/S and its a completely different vehicle!! Handling, surefooting, noise reduction...its like I have a new damn car!! Had rain for a few hours and its night and damn day. I'm in love

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
I just came back from a 600 mile trip with my new Michelin Defender LTX M/S and its a completely different vehicle!! Handling, surefooting, noise reduction...its like I have a new damn car!! Had rain for a few hours and its night and damn day. I'm in love
I couldn't agree with you more! I picked mine up last week after having the defenders put on and have driven a few hundred, but what a difference. The ride quality is back, steering is easier (both in slow turns and at speed) and quieter too. Couldn't believe the difference these have made. I realize any new tire probably would have made a difference given how worn the stock ones were but these are living up to the hype so far.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put a set of Continentals Terrain Contact's on mine, because the Michelin's were just a little too much of a road tire for me. My continentals are beautiful, ride smooth, silent, and yet they will dig in the snow and dirt a little bit more than the Michelins. I was afraid of the Michelins smooth road tread because the damn Hankooks were soo smooth and slippery with their road tread.
Old Thread, but this had a comment about the Continental Terrain Contact. @Deadman, did you put on the H/T or the A/T tires?

The A/T are more aggressive looking (all Terrain?), ant the H/T more 'highway' tires. I'm deciding between the two, at the moment, so if anyone has input on these tires it'd be appreciated.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same experience here. If you enjoy throwing around the rear of a high riding, 6,000 lb vehicle, they're great for that.
Yep! I made a left turn on a 30mph residential street on wet pavement and felt the rear end breaking loose. Couldn’t believe it. I am now a happy camper with Pirelli A/S 3’s.