How Much Money (& Time Delay) to Delete Green Interior from '22 Timberline Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Timberline

Reaction score
--------
PS: Have you thought about aftermarket seat covers in the color of your choice?
--------
Has anyone ever super glued seat covers on top of original leather, so they don't shift or move around unpleasantly?
How did that work out?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, wizbang was censored unless I change spelling of wiz (presuming it is not being censored in this followup post as well). :)
Well wiz-banging in some states is illegal. And i would be pissed if my monitor was wiz-banging. :mf_pcwhack:

Also, Timber, if you want your reply to give an alert like this post alerted you, you must quote the member at the bottom right of their post. (also, you can pick a part of their post to quote by acting like you are going to copy and paste then hit the quote button under the blue highlighted section) or you can mention them by putting a @ sign in front of their name to send alert.
@Timberline

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
--------
--------
Has anyone ever super glued seat covers on top of original leather, so they don't shift or move around unpleasantly?
How did that work out?
I would not recommend gluing a set cover on.

Instead, I'd suggest finding a local upholstery shop and getting a quote from them to change the seat covers. Pricey yes, but getting what you want, and done right the first time, is priceless.

Bill

ygfvdrrtffy

Reaction score
--------
--------
How did that work out?
You remove the factory covers and replace them with the new covers. Lots of folks says these are better than Ford factory on the Super Duty site https://katzkin.com/. I have a super duty too and there are tons of posts on the ford enthusiast site about these with pics. Of course, people are typically removing cloth interior and putting the Katzkin leather on the actual seat. Here is a link from the super duty site https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1629540-new-diy-katskinz-leather-seats.html

appears it could be DIY for a handy person.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You remove the factory covers and replace them with the new covers. Lots of folks says these are better than Ford factory on the Super Duty site https://katzkin.com/. I have a super duty too and there are tons of posts on the ford enthusiast site about these with pics. Of course, people are typically removing cloth interior and putting the Katzkin leather on the actual seat. Here is a link from the super duty site https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1629540-new-diy-katskinz-leather-seats.html

appears it could be DIY for a handy person.
I have Katzkin in my Lariat F150.
My truck came with Factory leather package and the OEM leather is only partial real leather. Most of the panels are synthetic.

Katzkin has different packages of leather, most affordable to most expensive. The most affordable are similar construction to OEM being partial real leather and the rest synthetic.

I went with the 100% genuine leather for my truck and I can tell you that the quality, fit and finish is great. The leather is definitely of better grade than whatever the factory included. Bonus is that my truck smells like a leather handbag on top of looking great.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
--------
"More concerning is your assertion that you will be looking at the interior for 15 years or more. I don’t think this is a vehicle you should be planning on having that long of a relationship with. Not that you couldnt keep it that long,… but I think you will be spending major dollars to keep one of these out past 15 years."
--------
My current Expedition is at 22 years and still counting.
It's just a car, they are not 'that' expensive to keep running, unless you do zero maintenance and/or have no understanding of science/physics.

Maybe I would have to spend a few thousand dollars on replacing the **** bang fancy LCD screens at some point, but beyond that, it's essentially the same car as my 2000 Expedition.
…..

So far my 2018 has accumulated over $15,000 in repairs,..AFTER the initial factory warranty ran out…
And I’m estimating on the low side there.
Currently it is waiting at the dealership for a new transmission, and cam phaser replacement, among some other items.
I’m not counting those repair bills yet. You do the math.

I will be glad to scan in all the tickets from the dealership if you don’t believe me. But if you read through some of my threads you will quickly realize I’m not just telling stories.

Fortunately I purchased an ESP out to 125,000 miles, so the most i ever get hit with is a $100 deductible.

I know not every 4th gen Expy is going to have all the same issues mine is having. But make no mistake about it. It is NOT remotely anything like your 3rd gen Expy. These are expensive, complex machines, and sadly, there seem to be some major issues with a good many of them. I was merely trying to suggest that this vehicle is not like my 2001 F150, that hardly ever cost me a dime in the 19 years I owned it. There is WAY more that can go wrong with this thing.

And though I am not a professional mechanic, I have several decades of shade-tree mechanic experience from being a life-long motorhead.
I am fairly meticulous about maintaining my cars and bikes. So don’t think that will save you. there are plenty of example on this forum of guys who are meticulous about their oil changes and other maintenance, but still had major issues come up.

These 4th gens are fantastic machines. In my humble opinion, they aren’t a good bet for a long-term relationship. At least no yet.

OP
OP
T

Timberline

Reaction score
These 4th gens are fantastic machines. In my humble opinion, they aren’t a good bet for a long-term relationship. At least no yet.

Well... if I can find a good tutorial on how to cut out and replace the unacceptable seat covers of a 2022 Timberline, and if I decide to gamble on the new wizbang technology that doesn't work as good as the 22 year old technology in my current Expedition...

I guess I will just hope I can become significantly wealthier in the next 2 to 3 years, so I can buy a 3rd Expedition before my 'still new' $80,000+ vehicle begins to disintegrate.

Reminds me of Dyson. If you are rich enough to buy their visually interesting products (that occasionally work well, but are ALMOST ALWAYS horribly engineered), they figure you must be rich enough to replace them a couple of years or so later (and that you are stupid enough to keep buying their disposable junk. <-me)

We are the destroyers of the world with our wasteful lives, are we not?

Last edited: