Interior water leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else developing water in the front passenger floor of their 4th Gen?

Backstory
I didn't notice the wet floor during the test drive, but on the way home my son said the floor was really wet. I brought it back to the dealership and they insisted it would be mitigated. They applied the fix mentioned in the technical bulletin regarding the AC drain. (Interesting side note: the technical bulletin says it's for Expeditions manufactured after Aug 2018, but my was manufactured before that.) It was really wet so I doubted that was the sole origin of the water. They claimed to also have done a leak test to make sure the sunroof wasn't leaking. It's been a week and the floor is dry, HOWEVER the carpet is still wet under the trim near the B-pillar.

I've been jamming paper towels in a small gap (see attached) and it keeps getting saturated. I've gone through 10-15 towels and I have driven the car a good 10 hours, with the heat on. If this was residual water, shouldn't it be dry by now?

Should I bring it back to the dealer?

DSC_2679.JPG

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The carpet and any under pad should be replaced by the dealer under warranty - or removed and cleaned, with the floor boards cleaned and disinfected to prevent mold.

The dealer did a bad job.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd also be a little concerned about rust after this long, I realize much of the body is Aluminum but there are still plenty of non-aluminum parts in that vicinity. Things like seatbelt bolts/mounts, seat rails, etc. If you haven't driven in water, then that tells me the water has pooled up someplace while they were leak testing and is slowly leaking. By soaking up that many towels, there has to be a supply someplace, not just residual moisture still in the carpets.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Called my salesperson and he setup and appt for one week from now :(. I'll let you know what they say. Paper towels still wicking up water. I'm gonna feel silly if it's all dried up in another week. Plus, then they probably wont tear it apart. My wife is worried we got a lemon...

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should call the general manager and express your concerns about a lemon. I would also be concerned about mold if you have to wait. Some things get more expensive the longer they wait.

Apollo

Reaction score
Definitely have them replace your carpet as mentioned above.

They will be replacing mine but the carpet is on back order.

I just got my expy back so i haven't tested to see if its still leaking.

Plan to check later today

Reaction score
My 2020 Limited MAX was delivered in September 2020 and had leaks on the driver's side the first month. Dealer stated the sunroof drain tube was not connected and did a poor job drying it out. Had to take it back a second time to have them remove the carpet and dry out. They did not offer to replace carpet. I should have asked I guess. There was visible rust on a bracket under dash also that they did not try to resolve their first attempt. Ford is having some.quality issues of late.

OP
OP
Janky

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it back to the dealer today. The tech was confused since he had already done the 'technical bulletin' work and he said the sunroof only drains down the A-Pilar and the rear of the vehicle. I requested to stay so I could see what they find. They weren't sure when the work would start but send me pictures later in the day. I'm told, "We have found the source of the leak and will have it ready tomorrow". I can't wait to hear. From the pictures, it looks clean... moist, but clean.

Expy_leak1.jpg

Expy_leak3.jpg

Expy_leak2.jpg

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it back to the dealer today. The tech was confused since he had already done the 'technical bulletin' work and he said the sunroof only drains down the A-Pilar and the rear of the vehicle. I requested to stay so I could see what they find. They weren't sure when the work would start but send me pictures later in the day. I'm told, "We have found the source of the leak and will have it ready tomorrow". I can't wait to hear. From the pictures, it looks clean... moist, but clean.

View attachment 39222

View attachment 39223

View attachment 39224

If the dealer does not replace the carpet and underpayment pad - I would ask how they completely dried the items and how they will prevent mold and mildew from forming on the items.

I’ll bet they simply used a fan to blow air into the passenger compartment, which will NOT fully dry the Capet pad.

Good luck - let us know what the outcome is.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2020 Limited MAX was delivered in September 2020 and had leaks on the driver's side the first month. Dealer stated the sunroof drain tube was not connected and did a poor job drying it out. Had to take it back a second time to have them remove the carpet and dry out. They did not offer to replace carpet. I should have asked I guess. There was visible rust on a bracket under dash also that they did not try to resolve their first attempt. Ford is having some.quality issues of late.
Quality issues is an understatement. My Platinum Max leaked, had issues with both sets of tail lights, had a huge gap whers the dashboard met the passenger side door jamb next to the weatherstripping, and the front camera was defective. Ford bought it back and I just picked up my new one today. Quality is a little better on this one, but there’s a quarter inch gap above one tail light and some issues with the weather stripping around the windows on the rear doors. I’ve stopped looking closely at things because I don’t want the frustration when I find other issues!

I hope the OP can get the water issues fixed.