Issues with just purchased 2018 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here.

I just purchased a Certified 2018 Ford Expedition Max Limited from an out of state dealer, and have had nothing but issues with it.

Two main issues I wanted to see if anyone else here had and what they did about it.

1. The second row passenger seat (bench seat) quick release button does not function. The seat makes a noise, but the seat does not actually release at all. The release lever on top of the seat works as expected. The quick release button on the driver side second row works as expected. Service center here in town took a look and said the seat frame itself would need to be replaced (not covered under ford certified warranty).

2. Burning smell when using 4wd after a few seconds of hard acceleration. Service center here is not able to look at this so I'm not sure what this could be yet, or if it will be covered under the factory power train warranty.

The first issue seems like it will cost around $3,000 to fix, and neither Ford or the dealer I purchased it from want to fix it. Anyone here seen these issues, and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks in advance!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I just purchased a Certified 2018 Ford Expedition Max Limited from an out of state dealer, and have had nothing but issues with it.

Two main issues I wanted to see if anyone else here had and what they did about it.

1. The second row passenger seat (bench seat) quick release button does not function. The seat makes a noise, but the seat does not actually release at all. The release lever on top of the seat works as expected. The quick release button on the driver side second row works as expected. Service center here in town took a look and said the seat frame itself would need to be replaced (not covered under ford certified warranty).

2. Burning smell when using 4wd after a few seconds of hard acceleration. Service center here is not able to look at this so I'm not sure what this could be yet, or if it will be covered under the factory power train warranty.

The first issue seems like it will cost around $3,000 to fix, and neither Ford or the dealer I purchased it from want to fix it. Anyone here seen these issues, and if so, what was the fix?

Thanks in advance!

When you buy a certified, pre-owned vehicle from a dealer, isn’t everything certified to work?

Did the issues occur after some time, or when you got the vehicle?

Have you read your warranty, to ensure the seat issue is NOT covered?

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
When you buy a certified, pre-owned vehicle from a dealer, isn’t everything certified to work?

Did the issues occur after some time, or when you got the vehicle?

Have you read your warranty, to ensure the seat issue is NOT covered?

The issues were on the vehicle as soon as I got it (received on 12/22). I also had an issue with the AC, but that is going to be fixed by the local ford dealer here since it's covered under the certified warranty. I think this dealer did not do a good job during the certified inspection and just checked yes to everything.

As far as the seat, it seems that only "seat motors" are covered under the certified warranty, not the seat frame.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm,., your seat issue sounds like a mechanism or motor issue, not the frame. If you hear the motor releasing the seat but it doesn't release, the release mechanism is clearly not working.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Hmm,., your seat issue sounds like a mechanism or motor issue, not the frame. If you hear the motor releasing the seat but it doesn't release, the release mechanism is clearly not working.

That is what I thought as well, but the service center says it's a seat frame issue.

I am going to bring to another ford service center on Monday to have them confirm.

One strange thing, the wire harness under the broken seat looks different than the harness under the driver side second row seat that works. I would think they should look identical?

Here is the non-working second row passenger side:

PXL-20201231-021441554.jpg

Here is the working second row driver side:
PXL-20201231-021458376.jpg

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would make a huge stink about it to the dealer that sold it to you.

You buy a CPO car expecting no issues and if there are some you want them fixed under warranty. They should work out a deal with your local dealer to make the repair at no cost to you or have them pickup the car and bring it back to their dealer for them to fix (they won’t do that I’m sure but tell them thats an option to get this taken care of).

I’d maybe get your local dealer to call the selling dealer with you if you can. Get many parties involved, get the GM of the selling dealer involved, etc.

Be nice, but outrageously firm, and tell them over and over that you feel they shouldn’t have certified the car and make them feel guilty about selling a faulty car to someone out of state and that you took their word that the car was flawless. Someone will listen and hopefully will try to help at the selling dealer but likely needs to be someone high up, GM, GSM, head of service, etc. again, be nice about it, nobody wants to help an *****.

By the way, I believe each dealer needs to uphold some sort of CPO standard so maybe getting corporate Ford involved would help? Not sure there.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make the out of state dealer fix it. If it means returning it to them, then thats what you gotta do.

Thats why I shop online for a vehicle price but them ask my local dealer to match it or get close and then buy it locally. Its always a gamble with an out of area dealer especially if there is no factory warranty to cover costs at your local ford store.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I would make a huge stink about it to the dealer that sold it to you.

You buy a CPO car expecting no issues and if there are some you want them fixed under warranty. They should work out a deal with your local dealer to make the repair at no cost to you or have them pickup the car and bring it back to their dealer for them to fix (they won’t do that I’m sure but tell them thats an option to get this taken care of).

I’d maybe get your local dealer to call the selling dealer with you if you can. Get many parties involved, get the GM of the selling dealer involved, etc.

Be nice, but outrageously firm, and tell them over and over that you feel they shouldn’t have certified the car and make them feel guilty about selling a faulty car to someone out of state and that you took their word that the car was flawless. Someone will listen and hopefully will try to help at the selling dealer but likely needs to be someone high up, GM, GSM, head of service, etc. again, be nice about it, nobody wants to help an *****.

By the way, I believe each dealer needs to uphold some sort of CPO standard so maybe getting corporate Ford involved would help? Not sure there.

Good idea about contacting corporate Ford. I talked to them this morning and they are checking to see what can be done. I am also going to get a second opinion on the seat repair, as needing to replace the whole seat frame for just the one quick release function not working seems like overkill to me.

Aerogt01

Reaction score

I just purchased a Certified 2018 Ford Expedition Max Limited from an out of state dealer, and have had nothing but issues with it. ...

I have this same issue and posted about it two days ago on a 2020 Platinum. Please keep us updated on this one as well.