Just replaced the VVT Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I thought I’d post this for informational purposes.

The Check Engine Light on my 141k 2018 came on. After reaching operational temperature the car began shuddering. At idle, the RPM dropped and steadied frequently. I was notified that “the Engine Control System detected that one of the internal components was not responding as expected, caused by improper engine oil pressure or improperly operating engine timing components.”

The code came back P0018: Bank 2 Sensor A - the VVT Solenoid. I purchased one for $51 at Ford and replaced it. I have since put 40 miles on the car and the problem has not reoccurred. The CEL remains off.

The original VVT (which I assume was already replaced by the dealership when they did recall work under 100k mile warranty) was very clean. I’m guessing the electronics are giving out when the car reasches temperature?

Final note: Under the cam/valve covers everything looked very clean for 10k mile oil changes and 141k miles.

Attachments

• 89FA34AD-C1DC-41AC-88F6-504457AD67E6.png
    89FA34AD-C1DC-41AC-88F6-504457AD67E6.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 30

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Did you check the chain tensioner while you had the valve cover off? I had P0019 the other day, which is the exhaust solenoid. Someone said to cycle it with 12V because it gets gummed up. But when I searched, the P0019 and P0018 codes were associated with worn chains. Low and behold, I started hearing chain rattle on startup shortly after clearing the code. The code only appeared previously while towing. I suspect it may only come up when there's substantial load on the engine. My vehicle is 2017 with 139k.

OP
OP
blue_roster_cult

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Did you check the chain tensioner while you had the valve cover off? I had P0019 the other day, which is the exhaust solenoid. Someone said to cycle it with 12V because it gets gummed up. But when I searched, the P0019 and P0018 codes were associated with worn chains. Low and behold, I started hearing chain rattle on startup shortly after clearing the code. The code only appeared previously while towing. I suspect it may only come up when there's substantial load on the engine. My vehicle is 2017 with 139k.
I didn’t look around much, I was in a hurry. But my symptoms were coming on during normal driving conditions and at idle and were clearly some kind of malfunction. I do get the rattle at startup and I expect there’ll be more work to be done in the future. By your description it sounds like a chain/tensioner problem, but if you think the timing is being affected in strange ways, you now know the solenoids are a reliability issue.

I might mess around with the malfunctioning solenoid and see what I find.