Losing Hope on fixing my expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephenM

Reaction score
I currently own a ford expedition 2003 Eddie Bauer edition ... the one with the Triton engine...

a few months back my wife was leaving home to drive to work and it seemed like it was stalling out on her .... the truck shut off and she was low on gas so she called me and told me she thought the truck was out of gas .... with a gas can in hand I came and put a few gallons in the truck and it didn't want to start after a few times trying to start it ... it did start and we had to basically mash the gas pedal to the floor over and over to get it home two blocks away ....

Had someone "diagnose" it and I was told it was the fuel pump but didn't have the money at the time to purchase the $375 fuel pump .. finally got the fuel pump and got the truck jacked up and dropped the fuel tank .... after a few hours of working and having to repair a leaking fuel line ... I finally got the fuel pump in ... I tried to start the truck again and it wouldn't start .... checked the fuel filter which has 2 ins .. and 1 out line ... one of the "IN" lines was clogged .. got a new fuel filter and tried to start it again after turning the key into the accessory position a few times to try and prime the fuel into the line and it STILL does not start ...

When I try to start the truck the start is turning over and I have a "hot" battery in it with a good charge ... I'm not sure what to do next and I need to get it fixed soon ...

Can't afford a mechanic ... two mechanics already told me it was a fuel pump and I replaced the fuel pump and now it's still not working ... have not tested the old fuel pump yet ...

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum first and Formost

(I'm using the word solider as I don't know the correct spelling to the word that describes welding two electrical parts together)

Test the fuel pump relay and fuse & make sure you have resistance,

Fuel pump relay is a very common failure on this truck. It is soldered on so it can not be pulled from the fuse block. Either replace the fuse box with new one that has new relay or solider a new relay on if you can. I wish you would've joined the forum sooner we could've saved you $375 a few hours of your life but lesson learned I guess.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

FYI the only engine in the Expedition was a Triton either a 4.6 or 5.4

There is a way to test to see if you are getting voltage from the fuel pump relay on the fuse block.

How are you with working on electric circuits? And do you have a volt meter or a test light? Meter would be best.

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams.

Also if you decide to replace the fuse block Keep in mind that Ford used at least two different fuse blocks in the 03 expeditions.

The fuse block must have the same exact part numbers as the original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StephenM

Reaction score
When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the accessory position you can hear the relay click for the fuel pump ... turn the key off and it clicks off ... I do need to actually test the voltage on the pin ... after looking at the diagram online I believe it's a dark green / yellow wire ... don't know the voltage it should be getting though .... but neither here nor there it is pumping fuel through the fuel pump because when I take the fuel filter off (the out side) alot of fuel does run out on the ground. So I know that it's pumping fuel ... and I also took a plug out and held it near the outside of the truck and tried to start the engine and it has a spark as well .... I have not tried a test light and I don't have one either .... I do have a few multimeters and I'm pretty good with electrical Just need the voltages on each fuse ....

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What print are you looking at and which engine do you have 4.6 or 5.4

As a test get a can of starter fluid and spray just a little into the throttle body while someone try's starting the engine. It should fire up briefly

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at things logically. The engine will operate when certain parameters are met for air, fuel and spark.
Seeing that we are still breathing the air is present, inspect the air filter to make sure it isn't clogged though.
Spark - you saw spark on a plug so that tells you the pcm is sensing the cam and crank sensors, PATS is allowing the pcm to work if the theft light isn't blinking fast. It will shutdown the injectors if it is blinking fast.
Fuel - have fuel in tank, fuel runs out of the line but you don't know at what psi fuel is being supplied to the engine. Some of these require 55 psi on the rail.

So is the fuel pressure within spec?

By gathering facts you are able to see what is within the specs and what isn't. If you don't gather them you become a member of the "parts tossers" club.

What bedrck47 suggests will determine if it is a fuel related issue. Keep in mind the starting fluid is a bomb in a can, too much ether sprayed into the engine damages it. Use about .5 sec sprays.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is just getting me ready for another round of students in the electrical class this fall. We changed course material to a more collegiate level. I'm going to blast them with 22 chapters - @675 pages over 12 weeks. Test every @2 days.
Shock and awe baby.....if you are not leaving the classroom with a headache at the end of the day you're not paying attention.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't afford a mechanic ... two mechanics already told me it was a fuel pump and I replaced the fuel pump and now it's still not working ... have not tested the old fuel pump yet ...

The above tells me the pump isn't working (Your 1st post)

but neither here nor there it is pumping fuel through the fuel pump because when I take the fuel filter off (the out side) alot of fuel does run out on the ground. So I know that it's pumping fuel

This tells me the pump is working (your second post)

Would have been nice had you given that information in the first post.

The information that you will received will be based on the information you provide.