loss of power no one can tell me what's wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobross

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 2010 expedition EL.

About 2 years ago I was going up a steep hill and noticed a loss in power, then a flashing engine light and stuttering, so I pulled over, turned off ignition for a minute or two and restarted. No engine light and power seemed to be OK. I took it to an auto parts store to use their computer and it showed a misfire on one of the cylinders.

I continued to drive it but noticed it often would hesitate when accelerating sometimes and going up even small hills would often lose power like it's being choked of fuel/air. So I took it to my local shop and they said they couldn't replicate the issue. (of course there's no hills nearby and the stuttering was intermittent sometimes).

Searching youtube and google I found that the mass air flow sensor might be the culprit. So I took it out and cleaned it with MAF cleaner and BAM! it drove perfect again. Perfect idle, plenty of power, handled hills no problem. Then maybe 6 months later it started stuttering on hills again, slightly rough idle, etc. After cleaning the MAF sensor a few times I bought another MAF sensor (refurbished from NAPA), and still notice the problem. Now it struggles up almost all hills unless I slowly accelerate and don't give it too much. Steep hills I have to put it in 2nd gear, then 3rd, otherwise it will lose nearly all power going up.

I took it to another local auto shop and they couldn't replicate the problem (not driving it up any hills of course). And my two local ford dealerships are a huge pain in the *** to deal with, making you wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment and when I tried they couldn't even check it that day so I gave up. They'll probably not replicate it either as they won't drive it up a hill.

So what the heck could this be? I replaced the plugs 4 or 5 years ago for reference. Being that the first time I cleaned the MAF sensor it ran perfect suddenly for months, does that sound like it could be my problem and I just got a faulty replacement sensor maybe?

Any ideas?

(128k miles, meticulously maintained until 50k, then minimal maintenance since). Not sure what plugs I have in I just went with whatever the autoplace recommended. I know it doesn't throw any codes and everything runs fine until you give it acceleration on hills.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Until you have active codes the list of "could be's" is a mile long. How many miles are on the clock? What maintenance and repair work has been done in the past? How many miles on the "new" plugs, which brand?
How hot are the cats (are they plugged)? And the list goes on.....

Invest in a decent scanner and you should be able to read the values from each sensor. That would tell you if the MAF is sending bad data.

We try to get members out of the parts tossing mode using diagnostic troubleshooting to verify a failed part before replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobross

Reaction score
thanks. unfortunately it doesn't show any codes. I updated the post with info, 128k miles, not much maintenance after 50k other than oil changes, transmission fluid leak repair, new plugs in 2014-not sure what brand. Probably 40k on the new plugs).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obvious but you aren’t running the original air filter are you?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although the post implies a strong discord for dealers, I'm sure a Ford technician driving the truck uphill, you riding shotgun and his laptop capturing streaming live data, will be the quickest way to pinpoint whatever the trouble may be.

It'll be a pretty strait forward request - your guy drives with me to this steep hill nearby, or no appointment will be needed.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can force codes by recreating the conditions necessary that produces the stumble or lack of power. Once it starts having issues just keep it occurring until it logs the codes. If it doesn't then the engine is operating with in parameters. In that case it would be something the pcm doesn't monitor.

OP
OP
B

bobross

Reaction score
Although the post implies a strong discord for dealers, I'm sure a Ford technician driving the truck uphill, you riding shotgun and his laptop capturing streaming live data, will be the quickest way to pinpoint whatever the trouble may be.

It'll be a pretty strait forward request - your guy drives with me to this steep hill nearby, or no appointment will be needed.

I would prefer taking it to a dealer since they (should) be the most experienced, but the problem is my local dealer schedules service 2-3 weeks out and when I did that recently I waited all day only to be told they couldn't take a look at it. So it's just really frustrating.

Knowing that they can drive and have a computer hooked up at the same time that will show what's going on would be incredibly helpful, is that normal for dealers to do?