My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after about a month of looking on autotrader and Craigslist, I finally found one that was worthy of me parting with my money.

As you can see, it's a black 2000 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4L. As far as I can tell, it has about every option except the rear parking sensors.

AAD7A02B-941D-4055-AE28-F11DCA4C9A6C.jpg

The interior is rather disgusting but 15 years and 174k miles and the drivers seat is not ripped. That is rare:
2553994C-433C-445C-87DB-EAA8711613C6.jpg

It's got some paint traded on the left wheel flare:
C7C37B17-B838-45A6-A969-3ED2A03F2C7F.jpg

The bumper chrome looks bad vim not big into chrome so I'm not sure what I'll do here:
9B7AA956-5B78-4958-8F81-133C6EE7F483.jpg

I haven't looked too closely at the motor for leaks. It was dusty though:
40BCA092-1150-41E2-BE1E-4EF41C9949E9.jpg

It rides well. Do all EBs come with air suspension?

The left rear tire was at 20 psi. I inflated it to 34. I guess I'll see if it leaks.

I'm not thrilled with the wheels. They are ugly and caked in years of brake dust. I'll probably look into getting new wheels and selling these things. The tires are nearly new Big O Big Foot AT tires.

The brakes are nearly worn out. I'll be putting new pads on soon for sure- possibly rotors.

I've started going over the interior with a Magic Eraser. The center console is not black anymore. The seats are coming along. I had to cut it short because it started raining/sleeting/snowing. Tomorrow will be full of cleaning the interior and adding some leather conditioner to the seats.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Other than the basic maintenance that it needs, I've got a couple projects lined up for it already:
  • The rear wiper doesn't work. I haven't looked into it at all. Searched the forums some and found some possible solutions.
  • It needs to be waxed. Badly.
  • The interior needs to be scrubbed. Ideally I'd like to remove the seats and center console and pressure wash the carpet. Maybe this summer.
  • The driver heated seat doesn't apper to work. Haven't checked the passenger side yet. I'll also be installing heating pads to the outside 2nd row seats as well.
  • The CD changer is going to get pulled out. I'd much rather have the storage space in the console than a CD changer.
  • The head unit is still the OEM. I'd like to replace it with a double DIN with a video screen.
  • Backup camera.
  • The previous owner had a satellite receiver mounted to the windshield. The antenna is still on the roof and the wires are still in place. I'll remove those.
  • I'll probably tint the windows darker.
  • New wheels. Since the tires are good (although tires in this size are not cheap) I might pick a wheel that still works with these tires.
  • New brake pads for sure. Maybe something from Hawk. I have a full set of EBC greens on my Mariner and they are dusty. They stope great but are super dusty. The Hawk LTS on my Explorer seem to be clean yet stop very well.
  • LED lights- running boards, interior......
  • ambient lighting in the interior. Maybe. Have it in my Limited Escape and it's a nice feature. Kind of adds a touch of class. My friend's Audi A6 has it as well.
  • replace the lift struts on the hood and rear lift gate.
  • I've got some all-weather mats I'll throw up front. I might go with Weathertech or Husky. I've had these in several other cars and really like them.
  • the rear receiver bar below the bumper is rusty. I've seen it on just about every other 1st gen. And in this climate, rust typically isn't an issue. I'll clean it up and spray it black.
  • steering wheel cover. There's no hope for the steering wheel. The cover material is wrinkled and grimey. It's gross.

I'm sure the list will change over time, but this is a good start.

tedennis

Reaction score
Looks good man. I just picked one up today. Eddie bauer like yours but red and about 240k On it. It blew #7 plug out of the head. I only paid $1200 for it though.

Ive successfully repaired this on a few trucks so hopefully will work for mine now.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the spark plugs, one coil, and all of the coil boots today.

I'm pretty sure these plugs were the original. They were all worn to about 0.068". The new plugs were gapped to 0.054". I'm pretty sure I've got a valve cover leak on both sides near the firewall. Those plug wells had some oil down around the nut.

Here's the old plugs:
BBEB48C4-42DD-4037-A057-2EAA5BD02E0D.jpg

The new plugs are threaded higher. I guess this is to address the plug blowout issue.
EE04D5F2-3E9C-44F6-BFA3-87BE8656E6FC.jpg

The #6 coil had a crack in it so I put in a new Motorcraft coil. Seems to run nice and smooth now.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ the black on black doesn't look too bad but the gold doesn't bother me too much. It's low on the list of things to do.

It's been raining here in CO for about a week and a half. Suppose to snow tonight as well. To confuse the weather gods I went and applied a coat of RainX to the windshield. That's a sure way to make it stop raining. But then I waxed the hood- which as we all know is a sure way for it to rain. So watch the news to hear about the strange weather phenomenon in CO- that was me.

Possibly the first time this truck has been waxed:
EFA14B5D-4D8A-43C4-A4FF-46973A7885C5.jpg
5396E7A7-7A77-472D-B102-F66F76AA8DEB.jpg

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see that you are having fun with your CL Colorado Truck. I never understood how vehicles held up until I moved here. I just bought mine and it looks brand new.

When did you find time this week to wax? Sheets of rain here in Denver.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, it was just before this latest rain storm now assaulting the metro area now. I don't think I've ever been cold, wearing a jacket and waxing a vehicle before.

Just glad I got my yard mowed on Thursday.