Need to move car. No key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWStone

Reaction score
New member here with a problem. My neighbor gave me a 1999 Expedition. He has lost the keys and I need to move it to my house. We live on an adjoining property. I will use my tractor to pull it home with the wifes help.. How can I get the steering column unlocked? Can I have a door key made and use it to turn the ignition lock? This is the Eddie Bauer Edition. Was ran with low oil.
The car has set for about 5 years. Flat tires, full of junk, LOL!! All help appreciated.

doodlebugs-93

Reaction score
write down the VIN off the dash and take it to your local Ford dealer they might be able to cut you a key, if not go to your local lock smith and give them the VIN they depending where your local lock smith that might be able to look up the proper key code and cut you a key hopefully this will help you out GOOD LUCK.

OP
OP
R

RWStone

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I contacted 2 different Ford dealers and they only go back 2 years on VIN #s to make keys. The locksmith wants $150 to come out. I think I will pull a door lock and have a key made. After that I will pull the ignition lock and get a key made. Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
R

RWStone

Reaction score
I got a key cut for the door lock .Lock smith said door key has 6 cuts and ignition has 8 cuts. He figured out last 2 cuts. Key worked to release the steering column. Now I can drag it home. Will need to get a chip key cut later. Thanks for help

OP
OP
R

RWStone

Reaction score
It cost me $25 . Took the lock to his shop. Will have to take the car to him or have him come to my house when he cuts the chipped key. It has to match the cars computer to make it work. That will be another charge depending on how he gets to see the car. Since I have a key now that works the ignition it might not be too much cost.