Need to Replace Front Hub/Bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At 88,000 miles, I need to replace the front passenger wheel hub/bearing. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a rhythmic noise at higher speed,and when I turn sharply left at lower speeds I get more pronounced hum.

So my question is, what brand have people used to replace the hub assembly? OEM is pricey through Ford, and the Moog isn't inexpensive either. Does anyone have any experience with local Auto Store brands, and if so how have they held up? Thanks for any input.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks as if 180-220 is what I'm seeing between Moog, Motorcraft, and Timkin. Can find cheaper ones on ebay, but at what quality. I'll probably take the wheel off and inspect the hub/bearing a little more closely this week. When I look at a Ford Parts site, it appears that the wheel bearing/races can be had as a kit for less than $20. Anyone go this route, or is it recommended to replace the whole hub assembly?

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace Front Hub/Bearing

When I look at a Ford Parts site, it appears that the wheel bearing/races can be had as a kit for less than $20. Anyone go this route, or is it recommended to replace the whole hub assembly?

I would think that would be too labor and tool intensive.
You would probably need special pullers, a press and I think these are specially sealed bearings. Check to see if that kit is for 2 wheel drive Expy. This is new school, front drive technology.
Not for the shade tree guy if they are available as a kit, but if you're equipped, go for it and save yourself a ton of money.

I like the fact that these are cassette type and practically plug 'n play.
Even if a little pricey, you still probably save half just avoiding the labor cost.

So if done at a shop, has it been +/- around a thousand bucks to do both sides, on the front?

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had to just do a rear hub in my Old Man's 04. Cost was about 150 for the NAPA part if I remember right. I second the fact though that you still save money on labor costs from the shop with the full unit. It was about 400 to have my rear seals and bearings done on my 97. I did my front hubs on my own for about a quarter of the cost. For some reason hubs for the older models are much cheaper than the new ones. Cost me about 80 bucks for each of my fronts.