New camper - Sag issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a 2017 EL and a 31' trailer. The dry weight is likely a fiction, I wouldn't rely on it for anything. Also, if your family is anything like mine, you're loading hundreds of pounds of gear into the trailer. I also use a Husky Centerline WDH.

The best way to get everything set up correctly is to go to a truck stop and weigh the vehicles when you're loaded up for a trip. The first time I pulled the trailer, I traveled solo from CA back home to TX. My bars had to be adjusted when I loaded up for a trip with the family. I have a tongue weight scale, but the problem is that it doesn't tell you how much weight you have taken off the rear axle when the springs bars are adjusted. I would weigh the loaded trailer, adjust bars to equalize drop between the front and rear, then take it to a truck scale for verification of weight distribution.

mactlc

Reaction score
I have the same setup, a 2015 EL, 2017 2920BH with a Husky Center line TS WDH. Because we are close on weight I purchased a tongue scale with very little in the front storage compartment, battery and Propane the TW is 750 to 800 plus pounds. I have the WDH set so there is one and a half inches sag in the rear and no rise in the front. I have 4,000 miles towing through Colorado, UTAH and Wyoming and have never experienced sway or any issues while towing. It did take me three times running through the setup to get the WDH to how I like it. Due to the high TW I do not put anything in back of the Expy except passengers and I am very careful to load the trailer with the bulk of the weigh over the axles or in the rear (I use the tongue scale to keep at least 10% TW)

IMG_20190304_155333.jpg

Last edited:

Ellie Pierce

Reaction score
I am a new Expy owner 2018 Limited with HD tow package and a lot of other bells and whistles as it turn out. We tow a 25’ Airstream and I recently hooked up our Expy to set up the trailer with the car’s system and ran into a few unexpected features.
Sag in the rear axle being a big one. I followed the owners manual when setting up our weight distribution hitch and had to go online with Ford to find out IF I had a suspension leveling system with our Expy. Turns out we DO. I still don’t know what package option this falls under....
There is a completely different set up needed when the Expy has this self leveling system. I needed to drive the Expy around without the distribution hitch on for 2 miles @ 25mph so the car’s computer brain adjusts to the weight of the trailer w/o WDH attached. Measure front tire well distance after the 2 mile set up and THEN attach the WDH to level the front wheel well. After completing the steps and inputting numbers for trailer blind spot detection, etc the car should remember the trailer. You can input up to 10 different trailers to this car.
The result is that the ball sits much better in the coupler and the trailer is riding evenly.
This set up was NOT EASY and remains a bit of a mystery. I used tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel that also self leveled but the back end never sagged like this and it had less GVWR than the Expy.
I would feel a lot better if there was less sag in the back end. I wish the wheel well difference was more even in the two axles.
If you are tired reading this, imagine trying to do it!

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'll be curious how this procedure works out. I have specifically avoided this type of suspension on both Expeditions.

All we ever did with the suspension leveling systems on any vehicles was to turn it Off, then set the WDH as if this feature didn't exist, and finally turn the suspension back on when all set to take the last 1/4" out of the system. That worked. No doubt this will as well.

-- Chuck

Ellie Pierce

Reaction score
Thanks Chuck. Now all I have to do is find out how to shut off the suspension leveling in the settings. I found neutral tow in the settings, pushed it and then got a message to the effect of this is not available. I was NOT hooked up to the trailer so maybe it makes a difference when it senses the trailer??
TBC

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Neutral tow is for towing your Expedition behind your Prevost H3-45 VIP motorhome, not towing a trailer. :)

It may not be possible to turn off the self leveling suspension on our trucks. It's hydraulic not air as some earlier suspensions were years ago.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Ellie Pierce

Reaction score
Re: above neutral tow...I now know what that means
Need to call dealer (argh) to find out if I can disable the suspension leveling system...

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with many other that your issue is simply a set up tweak needed. My camper is about the same size as yours and it took me four times to get the WDH set up correctly. Most likely you will need to tilt your hitch head back some more. The more your bars angle to the ground, the more weight you will transfer to the front axle.

Imagine the distribution bars as handles on a wheel barrow, as you lift them up, weight transfers to the wheel. A WDH works the same way, if there is not enough tension on them they will not transfer the weight to the front. A tape measure on a level surface will tell you all you need to know.

BTW, I never tow with full tanks.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
15-17’s Load Leveling is mechanical. No “System”. It is a set of NivoMat shocks. They are an option, and do not come as part of the HD Tow Setup. You have to drive around for them to compensate some, then set your WDH up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro