ngk plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
wow NascarMike thats the first time i have heard about using copper plugs....what you say does make sense though. anyone else tried copper plugs???

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If I weren't terrified to touch the plugs in my truck, I'd love to try some of those e3 diamond fire plugs. They have a ton of test results that show hp, mpg and emmisions improvements. Their web site only lists a plug for the 2v motors.

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
ok i just got the ngk tr55gp platinums, i will try them in my 2000 5.4 and see how they do....i will post my opinion soon.

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
Ok I put in the Ngks and all I can say is wow... My expy runs so much more steady and smooth the car has get up and go. the old plugs weren't even bad looking, but ngks those plugs are amazing so.. From now on I will be using ngks in both my cars from now on. Now I just need to squeeze all the milage I can get out of my baby....

CSVT#49

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to swap plugs in my engine in my 05 and it looks like I only have two choices because of the 3V 5.4L engine (VIN 5)...

Motorcraft SP-462
or
Autolite HT1/HT15

What gives? I thought maybe I would have a Bosch or NGK option as well :confused:

Last edited:

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would use a standard copper plug from either Motorcraft or Autolite. Auotlite makes Motorcraft plugs.

Copper plugs burn hotter than platinum plugs. Hotter spark means more fuel is burned hence better power and better MPG.

Copper is a better conductor of electricity than plantinum. Platinum plugs will last longer becuase platinum is harder than copper..........

That's always been my exact reason for using ONLY copper plugs in all my vehicles. I've tried platinums and absolutely hate the idle quality with platinum. They are ok when driving, but idle is rougher. The only time I recommend platinum or iridium is on an engine with a multiple spark CD type ignition system like Mallory or MSD.

Copper just plain out performs platinum. It's one of the best conductors. Platinum is one of the worst conductors. I'd much rather change the plugs every 12K miles than leave in platinums for 100K miles and be unhappy with them.

I've been happy with the Autolites in my Explorer, but given the choice I always prefer NGK.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to swap plugs in my engine in my 05 and it looks like I only have two choices because of the 3V 5.4L engine (VIN 5)...

Motorcraft SP-462
or
Autolite HT1/HT15

What gives? I thought maybe I would have a Bosch or NGK option as well :confused:

I think Champion also makes plugs for the 3V. It's because of the 2 piece design that I guess it's only offered by those companies. Also because of the two piece design that you get broken plugs...

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im terrified to change the plugs out. all i hear is bad things. i think i will just wait until i absolutely need plugs. although it is probably time for a change. truck has 112k on it and i know for the past 25k, i havent touched them...

CSVT#49

Reaction score
I think Champion also makes plugs for the 3V. It's because of the 2 piece design that I guess it's only offered by those companies. Also because of the two piece design that you get broken plugs...

Well two companies maybe but Autolite builds both plugs. Apparently Autolite manufactures both Autolite and Motorcraft plugs.

So I call my trusted parts dept. at a local dealer I use a lot for parts and they told me that for my engine they are specing a SP-507 plug??? Kind of odd that everyone else lists SP-462 motorcraft plugs.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use NGK iridium in 5.4 2v they been in for many miles and no problems ...yet. I would never use Champions ..nothing but bad luck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okiman