ngk plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chisan

Reaction score
Hey guys i wanted to know if any of you have used NGK plugs in your Expy's and if you did do you like them and which type of plug? i hear they are good plugs?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've used them before in other vehicles but i'm still biased to Bosch Platinum

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always read that Bosch plugs are a no-no.

A friend of mine keeps on telling me to just get some NGKs. Apparently, he had good luck with them. Not sure what I'll put in, though. Might just stick with Motorcraft, but we'll see.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use NGK

I have used their plugs for years(German, Japanese and American vehicles).
NGK's are in my 2002 5.4 Expedition right now. I like the platinum plug. The current set have survived 2 COP failures. 2 thumbs up here for NGK plugs.

Last edited:

BLKSVT

Reaction score
I only run NGK plugs..in my Lightning the TR6's are the best...my suggestion would be make sure to gap them correctly, they don't like to be ungapped! LOL

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard many people have issues running non-Motorcraft plugs so I play it safe and stick with the OEM stuff. For me it is just not worth risking damaging the motor for minimal performance gains.

grantikal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
great insight and advice...
i never been such a nervous wreck just before a tune up...
still debating what plugs...

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
ok i will use them in my 00 exp, wheni went to autozone they told me that i had to use the iridium or the platinum ngk plugs, they said if i use the regular plugs i will have problems because the 5.4 engine gets too hot??? i have never heard this is it true or was he trying to make some extra bucks?

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go platinum

seems i remember the original plug for that engine was discontinued and replaced by a platinum/iridium mixed plug. I use the Platinum and can tell you that it performs well in august in Georgia with a/c on during 2 hour commutes as well as 13 hour runs to the Midwest.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would use a standard copper plug from either Motorcraft or Autolite. Auotlite makes Motorcraft plugs.

Copper plugs burn hotter than platinum plugs. Hotter spark means more fuel is burned hence better power and better MPG.

Copper is a better conductor of electricity than plantinum. Platinum plugs will last longer becuase platinum is harder than copper.

I used copper plugs on my supercharged mustang GT. They were two heat ranges colder but they supported 433 RWHP, over 500HP at the crank. I wouldn't even think of using a platinum plug for a supercharged application. Maybe iridium if you had boost levels above 11psi.