No Crank No Start Condition - Resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you using Harbor Freight jumper cables? I use 2 sets at the college for teaching bench testing of starters. They are such POS that the starters never pass the test. The students then get hands-on experience of using VD to find the problem(s).
No, I actually used regular 4 gauge jumper cables a little overkill.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was me, and that frustrated, I'd pull the starter, run separate hot cable, separate ground, and watch the starter spin. You've eliminated everything else. Try a reman starter that's returnable just in case. We've had some tough ones, yours ranks at the top.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try to start while moving the starter cables around. And VD test the ground wire from starter to ground.
did you check this?
By prosses of elimination I believe it is the ground wire from the starter to ground. When you VD tested the ground on the battery that was from the battery to ground. You have checked the whole positive side more than once so there is only 1 wire left the wire from the starter to ground.

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
do you have enough room to touch those 4 guage jumper cables to the starter while still in truck? hook other ends directly to the battery posts and see if it turns over under load. Then you would know one way or the other for sure on the starter at least.

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you have enough room to touch those 4 guage jumper cables to the starter while still in truck? hook other ends directly to the battery posts and see if it turns over under load. Then you would know one way or the other for sure on the starter at least.
Yes, Posts #48 and 51.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Juan, you've pretty much eliminated everything but the starter. Wonder if that goofy GM type solenoid piggy back on the starters causing your grief? Get a starter from Oreillys or somewhere that's forgiving just in case. Direct power, direct ground, your down to the source.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disconnected the 12v cable from the starter ran jumper cables direct from the positive battery post to the starter motor post. Grounded the body with other cable and connect it to the negative post. Then connected a small gauge wire a clip to solenoid post gave it juice from the positive post and nothing except a faint click at starter and arcing at the battery as stated in post #1
take jumper cables to positive and ground on battery and positive and negative on starter so there is no doubt about ground. If the starter does not turn over then you need a new starter.

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, are you ready for this? New day new start (get it).
  • Charged battery overnight at 10 amps
  • Charge at almost 14 volts and an 85 charge.
  • Wire brushed all three eyelets on wires
  • Reconnected all connections
  • Verified ground and power to starter good everywhere.
  • Turn ignition, no start
Bench Test:
  • Pulled it again
  • Brought it to O'rielys this time.
  • Bench Test; PASS (third in four days)
  • Drive gear engaged and the motor turned
Preinstallation Test: On truck battery w/ jumper cables
  • Grounded the starter body to the - post and positive post on the starter to + post
  • Verified that voltage at both connections, both connections are good.
  • Solenoid wire to + Post then touched it to solenoid post on the starter.
  • Same faint click as on the truck, NO START
Preinstallation Test: On different battery w/ jumper cables (to eliminate my battery as an issue).
  • Grounded the starter body to the - post and positive post on the starter to + post
  • Verified that voltage at both connections, both connections are good.
  • Solenoid wire to + Post then touched it to solenoid post on the starter.
  • Same faint click as on the truck, NO START.
Preinstallation Test: w/ different jumper cables (to eliminate the cables as an issue).
  • Same results on both batteries