No Crank No Start Condition - Resolved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it fully insured? Got a match, and some gasoline? Just joking. So you've bypassed all the hot and ground cables using jumpers. If you use your jumper cables to the starter directly hot and ground, with the starter laying on ground still just a click? Their powering your starter and solenoid with direct 12 volts at Oreiilys, and it's spinning, and bendix drive is shooting out, that's starters good. What about the small wire that connects to starter. When I changed mine last year, I remember bolting it down. When you have the starter on ground, are you using key to start or a remote starter button on firewall solenoid, or just cables direct. This is getting fun. I'm betting it's going to be something stupid.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it fully insured? Got a match, and some gasoline? Just joking. So you've bypassed all the hot and ground cables using jumpers. If you use your jumper cables to the starter directly hot and ground, with the starter laying on ground still just a click? Their powering your starter and solenoid with direct 12 volts at Oreiilys, and it's spinning, and bendix drive is shooting out, that's starters good. What about the small wire that connects to starter. When I changed mine last year, I remember bolting it down. When you have the starter on ground, are you using key to start or a remote starter button on firewall solenoid, or just cables direct. This is getting fun. I'm betting it's going to be something stupid.

Is it fully insured?
  • Nope
Got a match, and some gasoline?
  • Yup, thought about junking it get like $250 - $300 for it.
Just joking.
  • LMAO
So you've bypassed all the hot and ground cables using jumpers. If you use your jumper cables to the starter directly hot and ground, with the starter laying on the ground still just a click?
  • Yes, couldn't believe it same symptoms
Their powering your starter and solenoid with direct 12 volts at Oreiilys, and it's spinning,
  • Yup
bendix drive is shooting out That starter is good
  • Yup

What about the small wire that connects to the starter.
  • Read the Title
When I changed my starter last year, I remember bolting it down. When you have the starter on the ground, are you using the key to start or a remote starter button on firewall solenoid, or just cables direct.
  • Just the jumpers cables direct
This is getting fun. I'm betting it's going to be something stupid.
  • You got it......................
  • Read next post
After the last test at O'Reilly's, they suggested checking for a relay. Thinking it was a five-legged creature in the fuse box I skipped that because they said starter was good so I did my own test with the results posted previously.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not only did you test it, but you bypassed it by shooting a straight 12 volts and ground direct. Well I'm stumped! Do you have any shops near you that might be able to diagnose? Anybody else want to take a stab?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Stamp, the balls in your court!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp, where did you read resolved? On my end it just repeated everything I asked. According to Juan, he's still not cranking.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely going to be something stupid. Have you noticed we are the 60's with the post count? Must be something special about that range.

This is looking like the ID Ten Tee error

This is what i see under thread tools

Edit Thread: No Crank No Start Condition - Resolved

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was something really stupid.

So after checking the starter with all those tests and going crazy, I posted the results. I then went back out to the starter tried another test. I decide to jump the starter directly at the motor post and the stud nut NO SPIN. Saying wtf is going on I'm taking this BIOTCH apart started to remove the starter motor stud nut dumb thing torqued to hell. Gave up on so not to break it. Gave it another test figured I would check the motor again nothing so this issue is still the starter. Tested the starter motor again nothing. Kept messing with it and got an arc closer to the motor on the back side of the eyelet. The issue now has to be between the Starter Solenoid Switch Relay and starter motor. Kept messing with it and the starter motor to finally spun. Now we are cooking with 12 volts. Hit the solenoid post nothing again. Went to take it apart gave up not breaking this thin now after all this work. Loosened the starter side post nut not budging still tighten it back to where is guess it was. Tested it again now the starter works as it should. Gave it a few more tests she is fine now. Reinstalled the starter and it started on the first try. got a puff of smoke from the engine bay. Hoping that was from cranking they engine both ways by hand while checking if the engine was seized. Heard a rattle and shut it off.

WOW, all it was is a bad connection between the eyelet from starter motor wire to the Starter Solenoid Switch Relay Post and nut.

I got a new starter for sale on eBay, LOL (user name jcra214).