Odd running gear noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OregtoJohn

Reaction score
Newbie to forum here. I just acquired an '01 which is full-time AWD [also has 4WD Hi or Lo selectable]. About 150K miles, old receipt shows tranny rebuilt at 125K. Drives well, except now and then just moving along at 35-45 mph steady a sort of noticeable rap in the drive train, but no effect on driving. This means no jerkiness or odd motion. The book says this AWD works by switching between 4- and 2-wheel drive "as required," and I wonder if the noise is this shift, maybe coming from the transfer case? A normal sign of wear [I hope!]?

OP
OP
O

OregtoJohn

Reaction score
Yes, a distinct knock. No extra vibration accompanies this. And it's just one knock. Just happens sometimes.

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
With the transmission engaging overdrive, I would expect a RPM change. My 2000 XLT has a enable/disable OD switch.

Another thought would be the torque converter being switched to locked mode and that may not necessarily change the RPM.

OP
OP
O

OregtoJohn

Reaction score
Locked converter? Interesting idea - I could find no suggestion of when this would occur, in my manual, but it's not very elaborate. Yesterday I did follow said manual's suggestion and change the transfer case's fluid. This should be done regularly, unlike the differentials. The fluid, same as transmission oil, came out cloudy and dark; not bright red and chipper like new fluid. I think this was overdue. Unknown whether this will affect the issue above, but will see in a few days.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Rear transmission mount is known to clunk when worn. Check motor mounts, rear and front suspension and universal joints.

OP
OP
O

OregtoJohn

Reaction score
Excellent suggestion on that tranny mount - easy enough to have a look tomorrow!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fluid, same as transmission oil, came out cloudy and dark; not bright red and chipper like new fluid. I think this was overdue. Unknown whether this will affect the issue above, but will see in a few days.
You are on the right track. The shudder at 45 is common thing. After I had the transmission filter, fluid and transfer case fluid change i still had the shudder for about 100 miles or so then it fades away.
I had mine done at the dealer, that's what they told me and sure enough it went away and no problem since.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357