Oil catch can for a ‘19 MAX Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any engine with a PCV system is going to benefit from a catch can. Period. Mic drop.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to document a drop in knock retard after installing a catch can? My ls1 car had knock retard with the Oem setup. I added a catch can system built with some parts store stuff and cut that right down to zero. Had two filters and a catch can.

Can would have quite a bit of oil every so often. Filters would get misted enough to mess flow up and I could tell they needed changed because the way the engine ran.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to document a drop in knock retard after installing a catch can? My ls1 car had knock retard with the Oem setup. I added a catch can system built with some parts store stuff and cut that right down to zero. Had two filters and a catch can.

Can would have quite a bit of oil every so often. Filters would get misted enough to mess flow up and I could tell they needed changed because the way the engine ran.

No, Catch can should have zero direct correlation to KR on an EB motor. Directly it is helping keep intake valves clean, which improves airflow, so could have an indirect affect on KR, but nothing that is obvious on logging.

I have 100’s of hours using HPTuners logging on my 16 Edge Sport before I traded it in a month ago. I installed my JLT on it, and never saw any difference. On EB, a few things make the most difference, Manifold Charge Temp(Cool Air, upgraded IC helps), Octane(93 sees less KR, but Octane Boosters help too like Boostane and some off the Counter), good Gas, and Ethanol. Really want to help your KR’s, run a little more Ethanol, or get an Ethanol tune. The additional Octance, and evaporative cooling go a LONG way in preventing Knock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where does the pcv pipe the air back into the trac? How would it not send any oil into the charge? If guys are catching oil, it has to go in somewhere.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Compressed air gets hot. Hot air, absorbs water. Ethanol absorbs water. Boosted engines dilute oil, with gas. Water vapor, fuel and oil is what gets sucked into PCV. A normal running engine should burn it off. Worn rings and valves, let blow by into crankcase. Excess crank pressure run through a catch can, will help. Racers use them, but are running high RPM and boost. The Expedition should not need one.

Conroy Smith

Reaction score
What model # is the UPR can on your ‘19? Was it “plug and play”?

I used a JLT 3.0 on my 2018 and confidently feels that it makes sense. whether or not I needed to, I won't know. but I know this; when it comes time for an oil change which I usually do myself on all my vehicles I have to empty the Catch Can, that's oil that did not go back into my intake. I am happy that I install one.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Compressed air gets hot. Hot air, absorbs water. Ethanol absorbs water. Boosted engines dilute oil, with gas. Water vapor, fuel and oil is what gets sucked into PCV. A normal running engine should burn it off. Worn rings and valves, let blow by into crankcase. Excess crank pressure run through a catch can, will help. Racers use them, but are running high RPM and boost. The Expedition should not need one.

One more time for you...A Catch Can will benefit ANY modern motor and keep crud out of the intake.

It is even more of an issue on DI motors. The 18+ 4th Gen’s have the 2Gen EB 3.5TT, which has both Direct and Port Injection. One reason the port injection was added back was to help with the cleaning of the valves to partially remove what is coming in from the PCV System. Images taken of 2Gen valves have shown it does help, but doesn’t eliminate buildup. Want to help prevent build up even more, use a Catch Can.

Pretty simple concept to grasp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro