Oil change where is the bolt to drain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bery irritating. Only found one video of a guy with a 2016 EL. His video is dark when showing the bolt. Lame I have the Expedition on jacks resdy to go but I can’t tell which bleeping bolt I’m supposed to loosen. Then my phone does this stupid burst mode so I end up with 10 photos. So much for getting it done today. I took the felt off but now where’s the drain bolt.l? Guess I’ll take the oil and filter to the mechanic.
Boy stuff like this makes me feel like an idiot.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forget exactly where it is, but it's a large bolt facing outward on the passenger side. The oil filter is the mufo so consider yourself lucky the drain bolt stopped you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a side grab oil filter wrench so I was willing to take a shot at it. My Scion Xa is idiot proof for changing the oil though I seem to get it running down my arm when I remove the filter.
On the Expy there are the two rubber squares (only one still on the Expy) that I removed and there are a host of 15 mm bolts that I could crank on. Oh well, I had a 2 hour block of time and that’s gone.

OP
OP
A

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any idea why the skid plate says “do not remove for oil change” printed on it? From other pictures and videos the drain pan bolt might be plastic and at the front of the vehicle. I’ll crawl back under there tonight with a flashlight.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any idea why the skid plate says “do not remove for oil change” printed on it? From other pictures and videos the drain pan bolt might be plastic and at the front of the vehicle. I’ll crawl back under there tonight with a flashlight.
You dont take the front skid off, just the felt piece behind it, to drain the pan.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow....that looks like a PITA

5.4 v8's were certainly a bit more straightforward