PATS, PCM, GEM issues need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so my rig is just sitting in the drive way till I order up this tranny so it gives me time to redo the electric system to fix the PATS issues. So the question is my 99 has full blown PATS and as I understand the 97-98 versions do not send an ignition interrupt signal like the bloody 99 does causing her to not start. So I know that the ignition cylinder and the gauge cluster and the PCM will have to be changed out from a donor truck but will i need the GEM as well? And any other major electric things needed to swap to a more primitive electric system? Are the connectors the same between the years? Will a PCM from a manual truck be better as I’m swapping it. Thanks for the help in advance. Chase

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd look at the wiring diagrams for both years and compare the plugs and wiring. That would let you know of any wiring changes.

Or custom tune with pats turned off - easiest way to go.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
took her to the dealer and they said they cannot disable PATs because mine is like stuck in theft mode hence why the keys wouldn’t program, and thanks for looking I’m curious to see what is found about the wiring

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not sure good question though I don't have a tuner but the ford guys showed me the computer and it was lit up with all kinds of errors, im wondering if the superduty electric system is compatible as well to see as id have to swap in a manual pcm for the transmission

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they provide a printout of the errors? Usually when a computer goes stupid (loaded with errors) it refuses to work correctly. Seeing that you were able to drive it to the dealer......I'm smelling BS untill proven otherwise.
In laymen terms a malfunctioning ecm will show drive ability problems.
Check all grounds to the pcm for corrosion.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford dealer won't be able to help tune it. Find a shop like 5star tuning or some kind of race shop near you and see if they can write a custom tune for it. That way they can put in exactly what you want for the anti theft and man trans.

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While it was in the dealer ship it just cranked and cranked and didn't start untill I went back there and unplugged the battery and pumped the brakes to bleed the power out and then I started it myself caus they couldn't get her to turn over and told me there's either a pats wire touching something or that the pats stuff in my Speedo is going bad as for the custom tune I need a transmission then I was going to try and see if someone could do custom tune it for me