People are still very stuck in the old "solid rear axle required" mindset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM SUVs will have IRS beginning in 2002. Too much pressure for more cargo room.

I had a 2008 Sequoia with IRS and was very bhappy with the vehicle. I would not buy a GM SUV because of the rear cargo space. I am very hbappy with my 2019 Navigator.

I do not do heavy duty off roading, just light duty off roading.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For example a few years ago GM switched to IFS (Ind. Front Suspension) on the 2500 HD, Ford said no way and instead redesigned an even stronger solid front axle in 2011 for the F-250, Look at the front axle rating on the GM IFS vs the Super Duty Dana Axle, it becomes clear which one you’d rather put a plow on fast. The axle also has much less point of weakness with that stress.

Yes I like my IRS on the Expedition with the smooth ride and it does well for me, but I’m realistic it’s not the end all.

GM's 2500's have had IFS for many many years. My 07 Silverado 2500 has IFS and I bought it over a Ford specifically because of the IFS. Its absolutely rides hands down better and I have a 1,000 lbs Boss V-Plow on it with a Duramax all hanging on that IFS. Its not as strong as the straight axle, but I didn't need that, I wanted comfort. :).
They both work well, but they both have their strengths and weaknesses!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See that’s fine as long as you were ok with that, everyone’s got priorities.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GM SUVs will have IRS beginning in 2002. Too much pressure for more cargo room.

I had a 2008 Sequoia with IRS and was very bhappy with the vehicle. I would not buy a GM SUV because of the rear cargo space. I am very hbappy with my 2019 Navigator.

I do not do heavy duty off roading, just light duty off roading.

Idk if thats even the reason. Dodge proved with the durango you can give a suv with sra plenty of passenger and cargo room. The 2nd gen in particular (2004-2010) had more interior passenger room than all suvs but the expy at the time and matched the expy in cargo room with folding seats. It also rode better than any other fs suv upon release as well. Gm couldve implemented those techniques on the 3rd gen suvs(07 -14) but they knew ppl would keep buying them without rele being competitive because noone was checking for the other trucks, or atleast took them serious, expy included. Now since ford gave the expy a "pretty" face with all the utility it always had(i believe if ford offered the 5.0, expy sales would eclipse gm), gm sales took a big hit and their under pressure. The irs would be a bust if gm doesnt fix their nvh issues they currently has, otherwise the current trucks ride pretty well. I havent driven a sequoia, but the tahoe rides well compared to armada and expy, they were always very compliant at low speeds, until the road becomes pockmarked. ppl dont care how much cargo capacity they offer, otherwise nobody wpuld rele buy em. My dad outright said he only got his escalade cuz of how it looks. He doesnt rele care for how it drives.

Yager

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked for 6 months for a clean low mileage first gen. Just for the solid axle. Kinda feel like the ex got less expedition and more soccer mom highway cruiser after 02. Plus i wanted a nice family vehicle for camping and trips to the woods. Not to mention. I think a SAS with 4 link in the front is in the near future. Weekend wheeler and a fun mobile for the family and i. Just have to convince my ole lady that it needs it lol

OP
OP
nate6966

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked for 6 months for a clean low mileage first gen. Just for the solid axle. Kinda feel like the ex got less expedition and more soccer mom highway cruiser after 02. Plus i wanted a nice family vehicle for camping and trips to the woods. Not to mention. I think a SAS with 4 link in the front is in the near future. Weekend wheeler and a fun mobile for the family and i. Just have to convince my ole lady that it needs it lol
Go for an Excursion

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2