People are still very stuck in the old "solid rear axle required" mindset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dingbat on bookface trying to say we're all 'drinking the koolaid' by thinking the Expedition is a competitor for full size SUVs...

I provided numerous links showing their LEO use and showing the independent tests that prove better towing capabilities. 90f8b61ee30aace2f49bea07645b1a1f.jpg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread could likely go the ‘no replacement for displacement’ route... have fun.

Seriously tho, just the gain in cargo space is enough a reason to change. The 3rd row in the Ford is an example of what the other manufacturers have to gain or continue to compete against.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are advantages to a solid rear, more wheel articulation for off road

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a lot more work to get a IRS suspension setup and working well enough to compete with a solid axle all across the board. You will find limitations in some areas. Articulation will be one, IRS won't be able to match it. Towing is super difficult with IRS also, solid axles will feel more planted especially as the weight goes up and things get windy. I have had a couple wind gusts that caught me off guard and there is a very different feel in the Expedition compared to a solid axle. If I was going to be towing ALL the time I would still want a solid axle I think. Since 99% of my driving is not pulling a trailer it is a trade off I am willing to take. I have towed with a sequoia and I feel the expedition does way better. I do think Ford did a really good job on the expedition.

Offroad isn't a big consideration on an expedition, common, you will run into plenty of issues offroad before the IRS is causing you problems. The thing is huge and not intended to be an offroad monster. A similar size SUV with solid axles would perform better in regards to articulation but for cruising dirt roads the expedition absolutely blows me away how smooth it rides offroad. Unless i am doing rock crawling I am picking my expedition over my wrangler every day.

OP
OP
nate6966

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone that buys an $80k Expedition planning to do some serious off roading, is a complete idiot.
If you're looking for the beginnings of a rock crawler, then you know enough about fabrication to keep you from starting here.
As far as towing, it's rated for 9k and that's plenty for everything I want to tow.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone that buys an $80k Expedition planning to do some serious off roading, is a complete idiot.
If you're looking for the beginnings of a rock crawler, then you know enough about fabrication to keep you from starting here.
As far as towing, it's rated for 9k and that's plenty for everything I want to tow.

Although I agree with this, you should see what some people put into Jeep Wranglers to go rock climbing.

I never thought I'd see people pay $80k for a Ford SUV in my lifetime.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This one still had dealer tags and sport performance tires. By his accent, I'd say he was a Ruskie.01311615461.jpg

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I know if my Town Bought Escalade's for the police everyone would raise HELL.I never saw a PD with one.Maybe the Secret Service or FBI. OP doesn't know they get Fleet Deals from Auto Makers.NJ. towns form a Group and purchase x number and get a discount.They all come thru with the same Specs. Dealer adds what each town wants.
Ok I did see one it was a confiscated from Drug Dealer. Plus other weird ones for Undercover Cops!!!!!

OP
OP
nate6966

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although I agree with this, you should see what some people put into Jeep Wranglers to go rock climbing.

I never thought I'd see people pay $80k for a Ford SUV in my lifetime.
Oh, I know what people put into building off road machines and rock crawlers. I've built a truck to be quick and also off road capable (not single purpose, still streetable). Even keeping it mild enough to stay on the street legally, it still sucked up nearly $20k above the purchase price of only $16k, and that was 20 years ago.
But it doesn't change the fact that anyone with the $60-100k investment into customizations is going to be smart enough to look for the right platform to build upon. They won't pick a behemoth like an Expedition (or a Tahoe/ Suburban) to start with.