Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok quick question. when ac is on there is a what sounds like hissing coming from the rear panel. im only using front air. is this normal? if not what could it be? my a/c is not blowing cold. it was refilled last year and i put some new stop leak coolant in. it blows a lil colder but still no icicles. TIA for any help and info

fordgirl2004

Reaction score
Popping Noise From Rear AC Blower 04

Hello, I have this same noise, can you tell me the name of the parts? I am going to attempt to change this myself. Thank you. Pam :)

Reaction score
Well I pulled the plug on the clicky noise last summer and all was well. Now the wife informs me there is no heat to the rear unit. Did I trade one problem for another or what do you guys think is the problem now?

mmears1

Reaction score
The rear a/c blower on my '03 Expo has started to make a popping noise whenever I run the rear a/c. I pulled of the rear tray to get a closer looking and it almost sounds like there is a ball or something that just keeps getting tossed around by the blower. Of course the factory warranty just expired so I'd like to at least give a shot at trying to figure out the problem myself. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,:shootout:
It's a $30 actuator behind the rear passenger-side panel. This cheesy little plastic part has an even cheesier gear that breaks easily. The dealership LOVES is and will charge $400 to $600 to fix it and make it sound like brain surgery. Go to a local NAPA store, tell them your Expedition rear air unit is making a "thumping / clicking" noise. Chances are they'll know exactly what it is. If not, call the dealership....they will definitely know the part. Anyway, buy it from NAPA (or Advance...or anyone BUT the dealership). Take it to a reputable service shop and ask them to replace it. Takes about 45 min. tops. Good luck. By the way, I'm on my FIFTH ONE...... yep.... 5!!!!

mmears1

Reaction score
Sorry for being late to this thread, but I finally got around to fixing my rear A/C which has been out for months. Btw - great input and photos from all contributors. It made fixing my A/C pretty easy.

Since I was having the same problem, I opted to skip the $75 dealer part cost. Instead, I found a similar actuator (in a Lincoln Mountaineer) at the junk yard and used it for parts. All the gears inside my old actuator had teeth missing. So I replaced the gear with the new ones. Here's the kicker...I noticed that no matter which position I have the selector on (ceiling or floor vents), the motor in the actuator is always turning. So there is constant pressure exerted against the gears. This seems odd. But when I re-assembled the actuator and put it all together, everything works great. However, I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until that continuous pressure on the gear teeth is going to cause one/some to break off. Considering how many people have had this problem, maybe it's a design flaw...where the motor never actually cuts-out, and this is causing the problems. Or does my system have another problem somewhere else? NOTE: The only way (I know) to tell if your actuator is doing the same thing as mine is to take it apart and plug it in with the top off. This allows the motor and gears to "pop" (not click or grind) letting you know if the motor is constantly engaged.

It's a MAJOR DESIGN FLAW and Ford won't do anything about it except let their Dealerships make a boatload of money fixing it...over and over and over. Mine has failed 5 TIMES. It's a 30 cent part with a $400 pricetag (at the dealership).

wakenride

Reaction score
Yours is the temp motor

Well I pulled the plug on the clicky noise last summer and all was well. Now the wife informs me there is no heat to the rear unit. Did I trade one problem for another or what do you guys think is the problem now?

I had the same exact problem. It's the motor that is mounted vertically. I got the part on ebay and bought a 5/16 ratcheting box wrench at Sears for 8 bucks. I pulled the cup holder and the recessed tray. I have huge hands so I had to pull back the major plastic cover to get it there. I plugged in the new motor before I mounted it. The shaft did not line up, so I had to start the car and play with the floor to head mixing knob until it aligned. Hint, tie a long string to your wrench and to your wrist in case you drop it. Took about 45 mins. -jeff

ps the ebay seller had the part to me in 3 days very reliable

svtfiveoh

Reaction score
Just got back from the junk yard, picked up a few gears from an Explorer. Installed 2 new ones in both boxes and now all is good. The junk yard wouldn't even charge me, said the parts were to small.

anjy834u

Reaction score
well it is difficult to that stuff on ur own. the bolts specially can be very tricky. great work .

Turx

Reaction score
On the subject of "Rear A/C", I have an issue. System is properly charged, front a/c works great, rear won't get cold, or very rarely and only for a short time. Blockage or a valve in the refergent line somewhere that goes bad. I'd like to get this resolved, it's my only issue on a great running vehicle.