Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I've made this a sticky, since it seems to be a common enough problem. :)

wakenride

Reaction score
Temp fix turn permanent

Well, just finished taking about my rear quarter panel, still putting it back together.

Basically, the motor that controls the door that decides which way the air goes (roof or floor) is bad. Well, not the motor, but one of the gears. It's the same exact motor that is used for the temperature blend door, so I'm not surprised that fails, as well.

So, as a temp fix, I "set" it to where the door would remain for roof air only, and disconnected it. I'll be looking for a replacement one at a junkyard or something. You can get one new from rockauto.com for 39, though WhiteFX4 said he got his from the dealer for 35.

I'll post instructions on how to take off the rear quarter panel later, as well as some (crappy) pix. I'm also going to try and see if the motor is accessible by taking out the cup holder. Would probably save a lot of time doing it that way.

I pulled the power supply to the lower motor, no noise. Switching from ceiling to floor still works. Problem solved for a/c? I'll try heat tomorrow

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the ceiling/floor (top motor, horizontal) works without thumping, then it is probably the temp motor ((lower, vertical). The thumping should cease for a couple seconds when changing between temps (full cold to full hot.) Or, if you already have acces to it, just pop it up and see of the gears are broken.

wakenride

Reaction score
Yes the temp motor

Pulled the supply and AC works no thumping. Heat does not work so I will replace the motor before winter ;-) I think I will pull the trim panel off my hands are too big to work through the cup holder. THX!

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motor Reset Procedure

I thought there was a Reset Procedure any time one of the blend door motors was changed? On my explorer I had to press and hold two of the climate control buttons to enter the maintenance menu, and that would display any errors with the door motors etc. I'm pretty sure that's where I reset the codes.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be needed on an electric one. Mine is the manual type, and I didn't need a reset.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the FORD shop manual, referring to the electronic climate control display on the 2003 models:

"The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed."
"
To exit self-test and retain all intermittent DTCs, push the blue (cooler temperature) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all intermittent DTCs and then turn OFF (display blank).
To exit self-test and clear all DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the DATC/EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared.
Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF).
Intermittent DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent condition occurs."
"...B2266 2266 N/A (LH) lower blend door failure or short B2267 2267 N/A (RH) upper blend door failure or short

pjcwik

Reaction score
Worked like a champ!!

Great thread!
I popped the cup holder and tray out---took out the three screws exactly as described. I took the cover off the motor and there were the broken teeth! I'm a computer geek, not really a car guy so I was very proud of myself for doing this. After taking the cover off and gears out I took the beige gear by itself and put it back in the damper hole and then gave it a little twist (easy twist) to close the damper and make the air flow from the ceiling. I live in Arizona and its summer-- so this will be good enough until I can find the gears or a replacement motor.
I do have one question---The top of the plastic quarter panel doesn't seem to click in right, so not sure how that is supposed to fit in right. (Note it was not clicked in before I started the fix, so not related)
BTW my Expy is a 2004 XLT.

Thanks again!!!