Power Difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I typo'd that. I was thinking 94 in my mind (and backed off one since I don't think you can get 94 at pumps in the US? idk) as we have pumps here that offer that (with Petro Canada) but yes, Premium is 91 octane typically.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
About 91 actually based on the new industry standard...I could go into the Chemistry...but yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most of the US is 93 for Premium. There are exceptions like higher altitude areas like Colorado.

They actually don’t actually use Pump gas. I did some research on it a while back. It is a repeatable standard, so it makes Power and MPG numbers more consistent across Brands.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for setting me straight AND subsequent explanation. You are a class act, @LokiWolf! My bad, was thinking platinum expy/navi/raptor were the same... HO, good to know![emoji106]

No Problem. I try! I know I come across blunt sometimes... They had to do something to really set the Navi apart. That Motor is a beast. The Platinum is just marketing...if you aren’t going to tune, it is a nice bump though!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HO Motor has the exact same size turbo, the material is different though for the turbine. It can handle higher heat.

Like was mentioned above only internal difference is the Pistons and lower compression. Supposedly the exhaust manifold has some slight differences, but I have never been able to clarify. Never seen them side by side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Confirmed part numbers are the same (6K682), so both Expedition and Navigator would be an BW K03 with no internal differences. That suggests the Expedition has substantial headroom, which I guess is why the tuners are getting so much more power out of them. I haven't looked at a compressor map, but apparently the K03 has a lot more in it. I just found an E85/E15 pump at the Murphy's down the road...might have to give one of these ethanol tunes a try. Too bad my model year doesn't support flex fuel. I don't relish the prospect of swapping tunes every time I tow.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Confirmed part numbers are the same (6K682), so both Expedition and Navigator would be an IHI K03 with no internal differences. That suggests the Expedition has substantial headroom, which I guess is why the tuners are getting so much more power out of them. I haven't looked at a compressor map, but apparently the K03 has a lot more in it. I just found an E85/E15 pump at the Murphy's down the road...might have to give one of these ethanol tunes a try. Too bad my model year doesn't support flex fuel. I don't relish the prospect of swapping tunes every time I tow.

Not true. The HO motor has a different Turbo. The size and flow are the same but the internals can handle more heat. Ford Part numbers are misconceiving.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not true. The HO motor has a different Turbo. The size and flow are the same but the internals can handle more heat. Ford Part numbers are misconceiving.

How would one spec a replacement part for the turbo without a part number specific to the vehicle? Do you have a source for the position that the HO motor turbos can handle more heat?

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How would one spec a replacement part for the turbo without a part number specific to the vehicle? Do you have a source for the position that the HO motor turbos can handle more heat?

Ford's PN's are complex enough to track both different part numbers and succession parts (updates). However, you need the full 10/11 digit P/N to verify the exact part / variant

XXXX-YYYY-ZZ
XXXX-YYYY-ZZZ

Just compare these between the two turbos